Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Ammo prices are climbing again

Considering the events of the last few weeks, Do you guys think we have seen the low water mark for ammo prices? 5.56/.223 is over .50cents and I’ve seen as much as $1. Plants closing and being sold to foreign entities, two wars that look to be years long events, and the Republicans front runner for president likely being convicted & jailed it seems to me we are in for some long term pain.

Default Re: Ammo prices are climbing again

I'm stocked. I hve about 5k primers small/large pistol. Need some bullets and powder though.
    FJB

At this point, it’s pretty much get it while you can. I have a feeling with the hearty plant exploding in Nebraska and everything else going on. We’re not gonna see primers for a while. It’s still possible to get cheap 556 in bulk, though, check out American marksman… The Lahab and striker lines are actually pretty decent. They have is a Turkish company and striker is their own in-house brand manufactured from Lake City teardowns

(Montgomery County)

I've been stocking up each time I go to the range, powder and primers tips never were a giant issue. I like to shoot but really dislike the prices for them but I like shooting more then I dislike the prices. Not sure when I feel llike I have enough but I guess as long as I can get them I'll be buying.

(Tioga County)

A recent psychological study showed that about 50% of the population has absolutely no conversation going on inside their head. In other words they are not actually "thinking" about anything. And in practical terms I have seen that to be true out there in the world. We see that with ammo, a lot of people react emotionally to world events or whatever and buy and will buy even more if the price is inflated.

People have to recognize these patterns and actually have a long term plan to meet their needs. Democrats are gonna democrat, wars are going to happen, there will be corporate changes, etc. Identify how much reasonable space you have for storage, how much you can budget, how much you will regularly consume in ammo for 3-5 years. Once you know those numbers you can be patient on the sidelines and when deals are good, you buy cheap stack deep. When reloading components are cheap, stack it deep. When there is free shipping, free hazmat, 25% off rebates like Winchester had last month, take advantage of it. Buy in bulk when prices are low. Fill your inventory to your previously created limits. When you use up 25% of it, start looking around for deals to replace inventory at your leisure.

Also reloading your own brass is a no brainer. Even if one takes a lightweight, small scale approach to it with a single stage press you can at least reload some to back fill in your supplies of ammo on the shelf, especially while everyone is running around like the sky is falling and drooling all over themselves at the big box or gun stores trying to get a box of ammo. Even in times of tight supplies for basic cartridges like 556 or 308, there are always some sort of bullet or powder one can make work.

(Montgomery County)

The only real effect I saw at the Oaks show today was 5.56. Lowest was probably $0.60. 9mm is still at $0.25 though. I don't think we'll see a 2020 situation unless something changes significantly.

(Chester County)

Haven't noticed rising prices, which are largely driven by demand staying moderate, (i.e., no panic buying).

Staying tuned to the thread for other commentary.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    The only real effect I saw at the Oaks show today was 5.56. Lowest was probably $0.60. 9mm is still at $0.25 though. I don't think we'll see a 2020 situation unless something changes significantly.
    Prices might be climbing but there is certainly not a shortage. Oaks seemed to have more ammo dealers this time and many had pallets of 1000 round boxes of ammo. Some were stacked 2 deep and 5 feet high so any price increase was from the dealers speculating on the future. No one there is going to "sell out" and they will be bringing millions of unsold rounds home with them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Prices might be climbing but there is certainly not a shortage. Oaks seemed to have more ammo dealers this time and many had pallets of 1000 round boxes of ammo. Some were stacked 2 deep and 5 feet high so any price increase was from the dealers speculating on the future. No one there is going to "sell out" and they will be bringing millions of unsold rounds home with them.
    Zero phuks for dealers who gouge us when demand increases, due to a mass shooting, dim POTUS/dim congress threatening gun control legislation, etc...

No dis on manufacturers who do their best to maintain production to meet demand.

(Allegheny County)

Never let a crisis go to waste. I*m good.
    Today was a good day!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast