Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Question Recoil on a .45 compact

Looking for a CCW. I have a Colt Officer's model but am looking for something a little smaller and lighter. I think the Colt weighs around 40 ounces, perhaps loaded. I also want something that isn't a real ballbreaker to shoot. I started out looking to trade a full-size 9mm on the Springfield EMP (9mm) but then decided I still really love the .45 cartridge. I'm taking a good look at the Kimber Ultra Carry II (25 ounces). Springfield has a lightweight compact in .45 too. I think it's 28 ounces. Kimber's site seems to suggest that the bull barrel cuts down on recoil. I wish I could try before I buy (sigh). These buggers are all pretty salty. Thanks for any help.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Recoil on a .45 compact

I once shot on IDPA match with a Kimber Ultra CDP. Very comfortable and not punishing at all. The short sight radius was a killer that day, though......

(Bedford County)

Colt Defender is 27 oz. and a real pussy cat to shoot. $800+

Look at the Kahr P45. Great little .45

Look at the Glock G36 which is Officers size but much lighter.

(Lycoming County)

I'll check out the Kahr---I assume foreign made? I think the Colt has a fat grip. I was never impressed with an off-the-shelf Colt in terms of accuracy and I do know one of the best pistolsmiths around http://www.garthwaite.com/articles/01_Feature.htm but I guess I'm just too practical (read cheap) to go shell out big bucks on a Colt and then another $500+ to get the dang thing to do what I want. Glocks leave me cold---I know they're a good piece---I just don't want one. I'm a 1911 guy. I'm continuing to research. At this point, I'm leaning toward a Kimber or Springer.

(Chester County)

Kahr is an American company. They just picked the name because it sounds german (and thus implies quality).

Anyway:

I've had a Colt Defender for a few years.

The recoil is pretty much the same as any other lightweight .45 ACP out there -- though the Hogue grips do a nice job of cutting the "slap" you typically get when shooting small .45s. You'll get a fair bit of muzzle flip, but the recoil isn't unpleasant.

Good accuracy, easy to carry. Never had a failure to feed or fire, through thousands of rounds. The only problem I've had with mine is that I've had to have it worked on to cure its tendency to puke spent brass back in my face.

Colt is hardly my favorite brand, but I'll happily admit that the days of buying one and then spending $500 to get it to work are dead and gone. Every Colt I've owned in the last 10 years worked fine out of the box.

Nobody (Colt, Kimber, Para, Springfield, S&W) makes 1911s that don't work out of the box -- the market won't tolerate it.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Northumberland County)

I have and carry a Kimber Ultra CDP custom shop and I don't think it recoils very hard at all, even for an aluminum framed gun. If I'd be heading back to PA any time soon I'd let you shoot it and try it out. I know what you mean by not wanting to spend a butt load and then not like it. I carry mine in a Desantis SOB all the time and it's very pleasant to pack IMO. By the way I have shot all different types of ammo out of it but mostly carry Magsafe and a round or 2 of JHP.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Lycoming County)

Thanks. I assume the safest/most jam-proof way to carry would be a JHP in the pipe and round ball after that. Assuming I will carry it a lot more than I shoot it, I see more benefit to a very light pistol. If I want to bang gongs all day, I should look into a full-size or just keep my Browning. It sure is fun to shop!

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fistful Of Steel View Post
    Thanks. I assume the safest/most jam-proof way to carry would be a JHP in the pipe and round ball after that. Assuming I will carry it a lot more than I shoot it, I see more benefit to a very light pistol. If I want to bang gongs all day, I should look into a full-size or just keep my Browning. It sure is fun to shop!
    I shot the gun with all the ammo I carry with and mixed loaded magazines, but the first 4 are Magsafes then 2 JHP just for good measure. I may just be lucky but my Kimber has yet to jam, but if I want to shoot alot of ammo I pick another .45 to plink with. I carried a Hi-power Practical for years and it still cries when I open the safe, that was my 1st pistol when I turned 21. Let us know what you end up with.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fistful Of Steel View Post
    Thanks. I assume the safest/most jam-proof way to carry would be a JHP in the pipe and round ball after that.
    Or buy a pistol that doesn't suck. If it won't feed hollowpoints reliably you have no business carrying it. don't mix your ammo loads pick a quality JHP and stick with it. Avoid pre-fragmented ammunition, none of it penetrates enough to be a reliable stopper.

Check out something with a polymer frame. Try the khar, try the glock. Polymer really sucks up the recoil in a small pistol
    Last edited by MarcS; March 21st, 2007 at 02:08 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I carry a Para-Ordnance P1245 w/ allloy frame. All the weight is in the mag. Recoil is minimal. My wife even likes to shoot it and she only weighs ........(Not going there as she may look over my sholder). Let's just say she's not a "Big Girl" and she can handle the recoil just fine.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast