Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default I may have made the wrong choice between two small caliber handguns

I just felt like spending some money today so I went to Shydas in Lebanon, I found a used Taurus 17 hmr in ss for 250 and a nib Heritage rough rider 22 mag for 170. These seemed like fun little plinkers at a budget price and ammo for these is not crazy. After a quick debate I bought one, went to the range and put about 150 rounds through it. It wasnt as accurate as I hoped and it was quite frankly a bore to shoot. Which one did I buy? The Heritage 22 Sa.
    Im wondering if the 17 hmr would be more exciting in any way. Does anyone have an opnion about that? Thanks.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: I may have made the wrong choice between two small caliber handguns

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I just felt like spending some money today so I went to Shydas in Lebanon, I found a used Taurus 17 hmr in ss for 250 and a nib Heritage rough rider 22 mag for 170. These seemed like fun little plinkers at a budget price and ammo for these is not crazy. After a quick debate I bought one, went to the range and put about 150 rounds through it. It wasnt as accurate as I hoped and it was quite frankly a bore to shoot. Which one did I buy? The Heritage 22 Sa.
    Im wondering if the 17 hmr would be more exciting in any way. Does anyone have an opnion about that? Thanks.
    I have a Taurus .17hmr silluette model. It is very accuarte and shoots well. Unfortunately the rounds are not as cheap as a .22.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

isn't the .17hmr just a necked down 22 mag?
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    isn't the .17hmr just a necked down 22 mag?
    More or less yes.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Venango County)

When first reading about the 17 cal., I recall that some real damage was being done to small game (groundhogs for example) due to the high velocity round.

I was wondering how the round works out. I assume the trajectory would be flatter as well.

A friend had one but his platform (old scope) was not good. I showed him how to sight in but he really needed a new scope so I could not get a feel for its accuracy.

I thought of getting one for the occasional crow but his was pretty loud. I thought it would be quieter than it was for some reason.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Philadelphia County)

The 17 HMR is a pretty loud round considering it's size,
    When fired from 100 yards into a soda pop can filled with water, The bullet completely fragments and doesnt make it through the can, But the can is pretty well gone,,,, It's flatness makes it a great varmint round, Between 50 and 150 yards there is very little drop.... Nice and flat,
    Fun round for a rifle not a pistol.
    I get 1" groups at 100 yards when I try using a 35$ scope.
    Peter.

(Chester County)

for a handgun, I'd pick 22 mag... for a rifle I'd use .17hmr (from those two choices.)

Altho, for the handgun, I'd get a Ruger Single Six with the extra cylinder so that you can shoot 22lr (for cheap fun) or 22mag (for small game)