Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Unis Ginex Primers

Who's using them? I've a case of Small pistol and I'm just about to start testing them in my .38s and 9mm revolvers. I expect they'll go bang OK. I'm really interested in how those using them rate them for "hardness". I have all my revolvers tuned for Federal SPs. Just looking for a stake in the ground!

All help is appreciated!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Default Re: Unis Ginex Primers

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Who's using them? I've a case of Small pistol and I'm just about to start testing them in my .38s and 9mm revolvers. I expect they'll go bang OK. I'm really interested in how those using them rate them for "hardness". I have all my revolvers tuned for Federal SPs. Just looking for a stake in the ground!

All help is appreciated!
    I*ve used their SRP and MSRP, they all went bang.

The only issue I (and reported by others) have is they seem to be just a **** hair oversized and will have difficulty seating in a tight pocket. I also experienced seating issues on wet tumbled brass, but after an hour tumble in walnut, they slid right in..

No differences seen in chrono numbers either
    SigGendered

(Susquehanna County)

^^^Thanks for the reply! I've seen that reported in other forums.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    I*ve used their SRP and MSRP, they all went bang.

The only issue I (and reported by others) have is they seem to be just a **** hair oversized and will have difficulty seating in a tight pocket. I also experienced seating issues on wet tumbled brass, but after an hour tumble in walnut, they slid right in..

No differences seen in chrono numbers either
    That is typical with European primers, they are sized slightly larger. You'll have issues running them in a progressive press as well.

(Lancaster County)

I've had minor issues with their LRPs seating below flush in new Starline brass. All ignited though...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    That is typical with European primers, they are sized slightly larger.
    Does anyone know if the reverse is true? Does European brass have a slightly larger primer pocket? People rave about Norma and Lapua as having some of the top brass available and I never heard they had loose primer pockets.

(Susquehanna County)

Well I tried loading up 100 for testing in my .38s and .357. Using my 30+ year old RL550 I lost about 6 due to crushing, a couple turned upside down. I've a Lee hand priming tool on order. Maybe that'll be better for setting primers. course it'll break my use on the progressive.

Fired 30 in my Model 10 only two didn't fire one was a misseated bullet that crushed the case caught before loading, the other was high primer. Next test is going to be in my Model 67 this was tuned by Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Perfromance and has a 7 1/2 lbs trigger pull. 3rd test bed is going to be my 627 Pro which is stock straight fro the factory. I've an old K38 Masterpiece that i think I'll leave out of the test.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Does anyone know if the reverse is true? Does European brass have a slightly larger primer pocket? People rave about Norma and Lapua as having some of the top brass available and I never heard they had loose primer pockets.
    The dimension differences are very minimal but sometimes they can rear their ugly head in certain situations. If you google and dig around there is a webpage with the dimensional differences displayed.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Well I tried loading up 100 for testing in my .38s and .357. Using my 30+ year old RL550 I lost about 6 due to crushing, a couple turned upside down. I've a Lee hand priming tool on order. Maybe that'll be better for setting primers. course it'll break my use on the progressive.
    Same exact issue I had repeatedly with S&B primers. They will jam up or goof around in the primer tube on the progressive. That's why I did some research and found American and Euro primers are very slightly different but enough to mess up things sometimes. I just remove the decapping pin on the resizing die and prime off press. I deprime and clean all my brass anyways before it gets anywhere near a press.

(Allegheny County)

I*ve used so many different primers over the years, first I ever heard of different sizes from European vs US made. Never used the ones OP has so I have no experience with those. I*ve used wolf, fiocchi, aguila , zsr and some others I can*t recall off the top of my head, all worked without issue and most through my Dillon 650.

Last few months I loaded 4K with wolf and 3k fiocchi all small pistol, no issues and I believe both are European brand primers. And so far what I shot they all went bang.
    Today was a good day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast