Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 1911 suggestions for chnges/improvements

Hi all

I have a Kimber Custom II LW in 45ACP.

I absolutely love it. I shoot it better than anything else I have. It shoots better than I do.

BEFORE the long story here's the cliff's notes version for my ADD friends...I want a black magwell and stainless mainspring housing

I bought it for my 45 birthday a few years ago. When I got it, it was considerably more than I have ever spend on a gun. I got it to be an occasional range toy and a keep to hand down to the kiddos some day. I was turning 45, I wanted a 45 and it had to be a 1911. This was right when Springfield released the Ronin and I loved it. I loved the two tone with the wood grips. I was able to find a Ronin but then I discovered the Kimber and found it in stock. SO I grabbed it.

Stock pic for illustration purposes

I never planned on carrying this gun, or, very rarely. I did get nice leather holster (most I ever spent on a holster, too) and it carries great.

It has since become a regular part of my rotation...will actual probably carry it today - well be at Kraynak's in Hermitage for the day if anyone else will be there by chance. I pretty much always use it when I am doing security for church.

So I have noticed there is one thing I wanted/want to change. I want to improve the grip situation. The front strap is smooth, and the wooden grips, while look great IMO, aren't practical for real shooting. The gun jumps a bit in your hands. Also, if I am ever in a bad situation, I want to do quicker mag loads.

So, after two trips back and forth to Kimber due to an issues with the grip screw bushings, I swapped the grips out for Magpuls (for now). They do work a lot better.
    But now it is just two toned, black (or blued) and grey/aluminum. I want to stay with that look.

Here's how it is now

So besides the front grip tape, I want to add a Magwell and a new mainspring housing. But, here's where I am struggling. To keep the color theme, I want a grey/stainless mainspring housing but a black maxwell.

I for a little more grip, I am going to add some grip tape to the front strap, I grey.

But I want a grey/stainless, arched mainspring housing with some grip pattern on it, and a black/blued magwell.

Search as might, I can't find anyone who offers this combo. And I really can't find an arched, stainless magwell with any god grip texture, and I really can't find a company that makes just a separate black or blued magwell. I have found the back Magwell by Wison Combat that just goes under the grips and is held on by the grip screws. I am considering going with this I just don't know about the quality, plus you need to modify the back of the grips a bit to make the magwell fit.

https://wilsoncombat.com/magazine-well-blue.html

Any advice where I can find what I am looking for?

(York County)

Default Re: 1911 suggestions for chnges/improvements

(Chester County)

Not sure if they have exactly what you're looking for but this company has actual quality control an I've used their mainspring housings for my Springfield 1911

https://www.smithandalexander.com/gripscrews.html
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Warren County)

I put an extended slide release on all my 1911s. That way I do not have to shift my grip on a reload.

I see you have an extended thumb safety - I do that on all my 1911s also.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE