Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default M1 Garand………simple CMP purchase

I saw a classified post on another forum for a Garand at another insane price and it made me wonder why so many people think they would not qualify to buy from the CMP or think it is just too much hassle. All somebody needs to do is meet the requirements from two lists. One list is to be involved in shooting sports, a former member of the military, or have a license to carry firearms in your home state. The other list is to be affiliated with one of their recognized clubs which you could satisfy simply by joining one for $25 annually. Most of the affiliated clubs know why people are joining and they give you your membership information as fast as you can hit the submit button with your payment so you could pass it along to the CMP.
    I recently bought this 1943 beauty for a total of $830. The rifle itself was 800, I joined the Garand Collectors Association for $25 and paid five dollars to have my forms notarized before sending them in.
    I see people listing rifles in this shape for well over $1500 and if they have a feature someone is interested in, they only go up from there.
    This one actually has three features that are often sought after. One is the earlier sights with the lockable adjustment. It also has matching receiver and barrel dates and third it was loaned to Denmark around 1949/1950 and has the proof mark indicating service in the Danish Royal Navy.
    Still, the list price was 800.
    If anyone is thinking about buying an M1 Garand, please do yourself a favor and look into the CMP. The other myth is that it takes forever to get your gun. The time frame from when I dropped the letter in the mailbox with the order form and information they require to when I got my rifle was about 2 1/2 weeks.

Last edited by bripro; September 29th, 2023 at 09:24 AM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: M1 Garand………simple CMP purchase

That*s a nice example, congrats on your purchase. I could never figure why people with a garand interest wouldn*t pursue this. When you go to the shows and see dealers trying to double their money on guns they purchase you gotta wonder. I know it*s a crap shoot on the rifles condition you will receive but there are standards in place for the grade you have chosen. My previous experience is they are adequately described. I have yet to be disappointed in what I*ve received and have had several pleasant surprises as well. Don*t stop buying now they still have more. Money well spent imo.

(Northumberland County)

Agreed. When I got mine in 2021 it was a no brainer to get from the CMP. The boxes to check off were not that hard and I'd been planning on it for close to a year. And the wait is whatever...yeah 4 months sucks, but it's tolerable

(Montgomery County)

Agreed, and congrats on your nice example. What grade?

(Berks County)

Nice choice, congratulations.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Agreed. When I got mine in 2021 it was a no brainer to get from the CMP. The boxes to check off were not that hard and I'd been planning on it for close to a year. And the wait is whatever...yeah 4 months sucks, but it's tolerable
    Since this was my first purchase, I was expecting a long wait time as well. I told myself I*m going to drop the forms in the mailbox and forget about them as much as I could and someday I*ll get a rifle. A whole 2 1/2 weeks later one showed up on my doorstep.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Agreed, and congrats on your nice example. What grade?
    Field Grade. Most likely would*ve been a service grade if the muzzle was a little bit tighter. Mine is just over three on their gauge while service grade needs to be three or under. I think they*re very strict on their standards. If anything people may get bumped up, but never bumped down.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Since this was my first purchase, I was expecting a long wait time as well. I told myself I*m going to drop the forms in the mailbox and forget about them as much as I could and someday I*ll get a rifle. A whole 2 1/2 weeks later one showed up on my doorstep.
    That's fast! Think I turned my forms in in April, and got it in Sept. Sure COVID didn't help that though either

Like most tyrants with a little power, they want you to prove you're worthy to purchase their wares. So F*CK the government, and F%CK CMP for putting needless requirements on purchasers..
    SigGendered

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Like most tyrants with a little power, they want you to prove you're worthy to purchase their wares. So F*CK the government, and F%CK CMP for putting needless requirements on purchasers..
    Thanks for sharing your opinion. I respect it and am cool with it, but my experience was a good one and I plan to buy from them again.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast