Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: M1 Garand………simple CMP purchase

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Like most tyrants with a little power, they want you to prove you're worthy to purchase their wares. So F*CK the government, and F%CK CMP for putting needless requirements on purchasers..
    So tell us you don*t know anything about the CMP by telling us what you know about the CMP.

But you would have no problem buying a Garand at an extremely inflated price from someone who probably bought it from the CMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    So tell us you don*t know anything about the CMP by telling us what you know about the CMP.

But you would have no problem buying a Garand at an extremely inflated price from someone who probably bought it from the CMP.
    True that*

Like those that think the 2A has limits and citizens should show their papers to own and carry firearms.. See how that works
    SigGendered

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Like most tyrants with a little power, they want you to prove you're worthy to purchase their wares. So F*CK the government, and F%CK CMP for putting needless requirements on purchasers..
    Its not the CMP's fault. As you can imagine having congress approve the semi privatization of the CMP came with a lot of rules that had to be followed. But having minor hoops like notarized letters, proof of citizenship, and proof of shooting experience is a small price for having a rifle delivered to your door. Many people don't even need to join the Garand collectors association. Many gun local clubs are accredited so if you are a member there you are good.

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Thanks for sharing your opinion. I respect it and am cool with it, but my experience was a good one and I plan to buy from them again.
    Just so you know.....the rifle you got is outstanding and you won the lottery with it. I haven't seen a Danish rifle with matching barrel, lockbar sites, and GI wood in 20 years. I know its hard to stop at one but do not expect anything close for your next order. Whatever rifle the send you will still be worth it but by comparison it would be hard to not be a little disappointed.

Take some better pics and post this to the CMP forums and include a list of numbers on the internal parts. I am sure everyone there will be amazed. You can date the internal parts by the revision numbers stamped on them so you can tell when they were made and if they are a "match" from when the rifle was built. Just know that even it they "match" it might just be because of luck since just about all rifles were rebuilt many times in their history. From the serial number your rifle was made around Dec 1942 and the barrel should be dated from then to 4-43 (as a general rule). It probably has the original sites and the trigger housing latch is the WWII type. With the box cartouche the stock is postwar to the Korean war and it is GI. Just the barrel and stock is worth more than you paid for the whole rifle.

(Berks County)

I'm one who paid premium for a second hand CMP option. I'm not unhappy with it though because it is one of the finer specimens that they could send. Your deal looks sweet though, and I'd be thrilled if I was in your shoes.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

I would indeed love to get this posted on the CMP forums, but although I’m registered, it doesn’t give me the option to post ir reply.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Cumberland County)

My first one was way back when. Waited 6 months or so for it to appear. Still my nicest one yet and for the 250.00 it cost me a hell of a deal. Them days are long gone.

(Cumberland County)

Agreed. I've purchased several Garands, a carbine (one of the last few they sold) and a 1911. Like you said, why pay thousands when you can pick up a cmp for $800 - $1200 usually depending on grades. I've purchased different grades and have been very happy with all I've received! Yours looks great - congrats!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

And if you buy more in I believe it's a 3 year period, no notary needed after the first purchase

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I saw a classified post on another forum for a Garand at another insane price and it made me wonder why so many people think they would not qualify to buy from the CMP or think it is just too much hassle. All somebody needs to do is meet the requirements from two lists. One list is to be involved in shooting sports, a former member of the military, or have a license to carry firearms in your home state. The other list is to be affiliated with one of their recognized clubs which you could satisfy simply by joining one for $25 annually. Most of the affiliated clubs know why people are joining and they give you your membership information as fast as you can hit the submit button with your payment so you could pass it along to the CMP.
    I recently bought this 1943 beauty for a total of $830. The rifle itself was 800, I joined the Garand Collectors Association for $25 and paid five dollars to have my forms notarized before sending them in.
    I see people listing rifles in this shape for well over $1500 and if they have a feature someone is interested in, they only go up from there.
    This one actually has three features that are often sought after. One is the earlier sights with the lockable adjustment. It also has matching receiver and barrel dates and third it was loaned to Denmark around 1949/1950 and has the proof mark indicating service in the Danish Royal Navy.
    Still, the list price was 800.
    If anyone is thinking about buying an M1 Garand, please do yourself a favor and look into the CMP. The other myth is that it takes forever to get your gun. The time frame from when I dropped the letter in the mailbox with the order form and information they require to when I got my rifle was about 2 1/2 weeks.

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Same timeframe when you purchased an SKS for $79 I remember when .....................

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    My first one was way back when. Waited 6 months or so for it to appear. Still my nicest one yet and for the 250.00 it cost me a hell of a deal. Them days are long gone.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

I have two. A winchester I bought for 350.00 and a cmp springfield for 700.00 A friend bought over 80 of them back in the day.
    FJB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast