Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: 😲 New bill could do away with yearly Pa. vehicle inspections

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I don't know if they still do it, but way back when if you failed inspection in NJ they gave you a stop sign shaped sticker good for 30 days to get whatever failed it, fixed. In PA once you fail you're done until you fix it.
    Yes. They still do the 30 day thing.

(Northampton County)

I don't know if they still do it, but way back when if you failed inspection in NJ they gave you a stop sign shaped sticker good for 30 days to get whatever failed it, fixed. In PA once you fail you're done until you fix it.
    Hmm, Must be different rules for different counties. 2 yrs. ago my Jeep needed lower ball joints, the shop that did the inspection gave me 7 days to make the repairs and come back for reinspection.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NEAHS View Post
    Hmm, Must be different rules for different counties. 2 yrs. ago my Jeep needed lower ball joints, the shop that did the inspection gave me 7 days to make the repairs and come back for reinspection.
    He's kind of right but kind of wrong. If it's still got a good sticker on it, it's failed but you can have them fix it or fix it yourself and take it back to get stickered but still drive it around. If you are on good terms with your garage, they'll put a sticker on it for you and tell you to take care of that problem right away but that is not legal. And I suppose there is a third option: He rejects it and you just drive it around with an expired sticker on it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by NEAHS View Post
    That was my understanding many years ago, once it failed they scraped your sticker, that was for the safety inspection, I know you get time to fix emissions problems now, but emissions wasn't a thing back then.

(Bucks County)

That was my understanding many years ago, once it failed they scraped your sticker, that was for the safety inspection, I know you get time to fix emissions problems now, but emissions wasn't a thing back then.
    I could be wrong but I don't think an inspector is allowed to remove a sticker unless he is putting a new one on the vehicle.

There are temporary stickers for a vehicle that passes the safety inspection but did not pass emissions inspection. I have never seen one in the wild in over 30 years.

For your enjoyment...

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/d...ons/PUB-45.pdf
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Northampton County)

I'm good with them doing away with it or at least making it every other year. The system as it stands is broken anyway. Some shops will pass you as long as you pay the inspection fee. Dash lit up like a Xmas tree, bald tires, metal-on-metal brakes, busted lights, mirror sitting in the back seat, pass. Other places will fail you for the slightest infraction either because they are afraid of losing their certification or simply because they want to bilk you for repairs. Then there are the fake inspection stickers, which are widely available and cheaper than the actual inspection. They're sold openly for $30-60 per pair (safety + emissions). No one is actively enforcing the law against those who sell or use them, so their usage has been snowballing for years.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't think an inspector is allowed to remove a sticker unless he is putting a new one on the vehicle.

There are temporary stickers for a vehicle that passes the safety inspection but did not pass emissions inspection. I have never seen one in the wild in over 30 years.

For your enjoyment...

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV%20Manuals/Pub_45%20Inspections%20Regulations/PUB-45.pdf
    Like I said, my recollection is many years ago, I'm almost 65 yrs old, it was a long time ago, might have been back as far as prior to when once a year started in 1982, might be wrong altogether.

I lived in ACNJ in the mid 1970's and I do remember the stop sign stickers they'd put on, I had one. You drove thru a long garage while passing thru various checkpoints and at the end you got a sticker, good or bad. I sort of remember thinking it was odd that you could keep driving the car if it failed. I've lived in PA all but those 3 years in the 70's.

I haven't had to worry about such a thing in a long time either, even my junkers I kept up to snuff.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    HARRISBURG, Pa. (WTAJ) * New legislation from a state senator could eliminate Pennsylvania*s yearly vehicle inspections.

State Senator Marty Flynn(D) represents part of Lackawanna and Luzerne counties. He recently sent a memo to lawmakers that he plans to introduce legislation in the near future that would do away with the yearly inspection.

https://www.pahomepage.com/news/new-...spections/amp/

Since whenever did the state government do away with a revenue stream? If this happens, some other fee will increase more than simply what it would take to break even.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Since whenever did the state government do away with a revenue stream? If this happens, some other fee will increase more than simply what it would take to break even.

Noah
    Indeed, but they only get the cost of the sticker now, which is $11. I pay about 4x that for a safety inspection, so if they removed that requirement and charged everyone $16.50 (for example) they would increase revenue by 50% and we would still spend less.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by John_Wick View Post
    Indeed, but they only get the cost of the sticker now, which is $11. I pay about 4x that for a safety inspection, so if they removed that requirement and charged everyone $16.50 (for example) they would increase revenue by 50% and we would still spend less.
    Yep, $11 for a sticker that cost them maybe $1.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast