Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: 😲 New bill could do away with yearly Pa. vehicle inspections

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I've heard from people that has become much easier. I know I got antique MC plates for two bikes in the last two years. ZERO issues. I just asked the notary to register it antique and they pulled out the paperwork to complete. Plate came in about a week or so IIRC. Perhaps cars are tougher.

But this inspection thing ain't neva gonna happen. The 'state' will rarely surrender power.
    I just put one on my '91 Jimmy a few months ago. One-time registration, no more state inspection. I look forward to my next vehicle coming into play, which should be my pickup next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post

it will drive many small shops out of business
    It might cause a lull in business but once it catches up to itself, it should result in more business for them. I recall hearing that same tune when they cut it back from every six months to a year.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

NJ is every other year and the guy inspecting the car has no financial interest in finding problems. Also, in MD, you get the vehicle inspected when you buy it and that's it.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Farmer III View Post
    NJ is every other year and the guy inspecting the car has no financial interest in finding problems. Also, in MD, you get the vehicle inspected when you buy it and that's it.
    When I bought a new car last spring, the New Jersey inspection station basically just puts an inspection (emissions) sticker on it that lasts for 5 years.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Florida has no inspections on vehicles !
    Florida doesn't salt there roads so heavily that an unkempt vehicle will completely rot in 5-6 years.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    Maybe every other year or lower some of the standards. I was considering giving an old car to my son who still lived in Carbon County, but I was told that a small amount of rust/rot around the wheels would have failed it.
    Some shops will fail for the smallest infraction. Find another shop. You shouldn't have much trouble finding one that will pass it with gaping holes in the body.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by John_Wick View Post
    Some shops will fail for the smallest infraction. Find another shop. You shouldn't have much trouble finding one that will pass it with gaping holes in the body.
    Back in the day, any rust at all was reason for failure but my understanding is that it has to go through to the interior of the car to fail now. In other words, just a rotted fender on the outside is not an issue.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by John_Wick View Post
    Some shops will fail for the smallest infraction.

I got dinged one time in PA in one of my Corvettes because metal was showing in the bottom left corner of the clutch petal rubber which was about the size of a pencil eraser.

On the other hand, inspection here in DE is a joke. When renewing registration, while sitting in your vehicle, you run through the inspection line where they stick an emissions tube up the exhaust pipe, check horn, turn signals, lights, wipers, and “look” at tire tread. Drive to the next stop and hit the brakes on the stop pad. Go to the drive-up window and pay for registration which is good for 2 years. If there aren't lines for the inspection lanes, the whole process takes about 10 minutes from the time you get there until you leave.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Now that's stupid. The only maintenance performed on most people's cars is via annual safety inspections. Brakes? Tires? Wipers? Headlights? Tail lights? And you'd still need to go in for emissions.
    Bald tires are the most dangerous... at least check those.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    I got dinged one time in PA in one of my Corvettes because metal was showing in the bottom left corner of the clutch petal rubber which was about the size of a pencil eraser.

On the other hand, inspection here in DE is a joke. When renewing registration, while sitting in your vehicle, you run through the inspection line where they stick an emissions tube up the exhaust pipe, check horn, turn signals, lights, wipers, and *look* at tire tread. Drive to the next stop and hit the brakes on the stop pad. Go to the drive-up window and pay for registration which is good for 2 years. If there aren't lines for the inspection lanes, the whole process takes about 10 minutes from the time you get there until you leave.
    Back when PA was twice a year, no rust inspections, there was a running joke about NJ's state run inspection stations. I don't know how often they had them or anything but the joke was that the inspector stood in the bay and waved you in and if you could stop without running him over, you passed.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Back when PA was twice a year, no rust inspections, there was a running joke about NJ's state run inspection stations. I don't know how often they had them or anything but the joke was that the inspector stood in the bay and waved you in and if you could stop without running him over, you passed.
    I don't know if they still do it, but way back when if you failed inspection in NJ they gave you a stop sign shaped sticker good for 30 days to get whatever failed it, fixed. In PA once you fail you're done until you fix it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast