Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: Lots of bacon in TX

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    'Wasteful' is in the mind of the beholder. When I go to the range, I shoot a couple mags worth through whatever I am shooting. Others shoot hundreds of rounds or more. I think they're being wasteful but It's not my concern.
    Wasteful as in a .50 will waste a lot of the meat.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Yes. It's quite stupid and barbaric if you ask me. Idiots.
    Once a week, I pass a tractor trailer (heading eastbound on Rt 30 by-pass) full of pigs heading to slaughter. They all stick their snouts out the side of the trailer as I pass... I always feel sad for them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Wasteful as in a .50 will waste a lot of the meat.
    Ah, well...that would be true if they were going to process them for eating but I don't think they are. And to that end, it is wasteful, as they could feed the poor and the homeless with that gnarly shit. My understanding is that wild boar is not good eating.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm not into animal abuse either and those who are, are mentally ill. However, I don't consider shooting a pest to be animal abuse. I'm a live and let live kind of guy but if an animal is damaging my stuff, he's a target. And that includes deer, groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels and feral pigs, amongst other things.
    If they were all head/heart shots I'd be on board.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    How is it barbaric to use a caliber that kills more effectively? Would it be civilized if the pigs suffered more before dying?

Wasteful I would grant you, but barbaric no.
    Wasteful yes, but blowing a animals legs off and letting it die a slow death.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Once a week, I pass a tractor trailer (heading eastbound on Rt 30 by-pass) full of pigs heading to slaughter. They all stick their snouts out the side of the trailer as I pass... I always feel sad for them.
    So do I. Ive been saying this for years, I need to start buying farm raised free range meats. But I don't
    FJB

(Tioga County)

From talking to folks that hunt hogs, you have to hit them hard and fast because they will split into heavy brush and then you can't get them. The older pigs also get pretty smart so you have to take them down first and then you have a chance. Old timer stuff of clean kills with bolt guns, yeah that just doesn't work. They multiple so fast and can destroy a farm pretty quickly so it's no joke.

However looking at this video, I can say I will not be bouncing around in a vehicle going off road with people firing full auto next to my head. Looks like a good way for someone to get their head blown off. I don't care if they are "trained professionals", "trained professionals" get killed all the time.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I've watched some of the "hunt" vids and the "trap" vids, which are pretty interesting, but I'll assume (based on vid title) this is one of the "I'm an asshole piece of shit who gets off on killing things" vids, so I won't watch it.
    OK. I watched a few minutes of it.

I was right on the money.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Wayne County)

Well, from a biological perspective, nothing is "going to waste".

1. Vultures, coyotes, crows, mice, squirrels, fungi, bacteria, flies, hornets, etc. gotta eat, too.
    2. The remaining meat will decay and the nitrogen from the protein will fertilize the fields, to be used by next year's crop.

Considering it to be " waste" if humans don't consume it is egocentric.

Now, is a minigun "needed" to kill an individual pig...no. But when you come up on a group of pigs that exceed 40-50 individuals, well, a minigun may be the correct tool, in order to prevent strays from getting away. Some of you guys have never seen the size of the herds of pigs they get down south, nor have you seen the damage that they can do. Due to their large numbers of offspring and the frequency of litters, allowing one adult female to get away can mean having another 8 - 30 piglets by the end of the year.

Secondly, does killing a pig with one bullet, that just leaves a hole, really kill it any deader or more humanely than killing one by blowing it into pieces? Sure, it's gruesome, but I'd argue that it does more quickly and feels less pain when it is vaporized. As such, I'd argue that using a minigun or .50 caliber was actually MORE humane.

Pigs are fast, wary, and at least as smart as dogs. Hunting them like grandpa hunted deer may get you 2 or 3, but those that remain will be smarter, more cautious, and harder to kill next time.

I am also an "animal lover". Having said that, killing an animal is never pleasant, even when necessary. But, sometimes it is necessary. And, when it is necessary, it should be swift, decisive, and final. And, sometimes that is gruesome to behold.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

^^^ All of that is negated by "I believe I can fly" being played while slaughtered hogs are flipping through the air.

They are jerking off to it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast