Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: The eye closer to the target becomes the dominant eye?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I suggest you research target focused shooting and practice it. Also your eyes are like other muscles or physical skills, they can be trained. After shooting USPSA for 10 years I've noticed my visual speed in general is faster than I remember it being. You can train your eyes to do what you need them to. My beneficial changes were less intentional, but still substantial.
    I agree with this. Eyes can be trained and it*s not that difficult. My beef has been the big fat *nra certified* fudds who have little if any actual fighting or competition skills beating the endless drum of *eye dominance* that used to be part of the instructor program.
    These instructors would dwell on the concept mostly cause it sounds scientific, even though they couldn*t explain it. NRA instructor programs have fleeced many people and caused problems far out of proportion to their size.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Clearfield County)

I think you should split the difference and shoot with both eyes closed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I think it would be good training to practice with your eyes closed and end up with the sights on a center mass target through muscle memory.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post

Real Jedi don't need no stinkin' eyes.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cntxpa View Post
    I used the widely used dominant eye test but the results are pretty mixed. Generally, left eye is dominant for things to my left, and right eye is dominant for things to my right, and a total mix for things straight ahead. Basically, the eye closer to the target becomes the dominant eye.

When shooting, since the target is generally straight ahead, I turn my head slightly to the left to use the right eye, or to the right to use the left eye. Otherwise, my eyes fight each other, making it hard to get a clear sight. Again, the eye closer to the target is the dominant eye.

I know it's possible to have no dominant eye, but hard to find how it manifests. (Like is it just random or does it follow some pattern like mine?) I wonder if anybody also has this experience and knows how to deal with it when shooting.

Thanks!
    You're confused...

...your dominant eye is not necessarily your stronger eye, although it may be. Your dominant eye is simply the eye that your brain favors.

I'm left eye dominant but a right handed shooter. However, BOTH of my eyes are the same strength. Not coincidentally, I suck at trap because I can't keep both eyes open and hit any clays.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely try these out.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    You're confused...

...your dominant eye is not necessarily your stronger eye, although it may be. Your dominant eye is simply the eye that your brain favors.

I'm left eye dominant but a right handed shooter. However, BOTH of my eyes are the same strength. Not coincidentally, I suck at trap because I can't keep both eyes open and hit any clays.
    I guess I kind of get it but when I draw from a holster, I usually bring it up to in front of my right eye. That usually works well, but occasionally I start to see the left side of the slide rather than the aligned sights. I guess that's when the left eye becomes the dominant one.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I agree with this. Eyes can be trained and it*s not that difficult. My beef has been the big fat *nra certified* fudds who have little if any actual fighting or competition skills beating the endless drum of *eye dominance* that used to be part of the instructor program.
    These instructors would dwell on the concept mostly cause it sounds scientific, even though they couldn*t explain it. NRA instructor programs have fleeced many people and caused problems far out of proportion to their size.
    I think identifying eye dominance with a new shooter and using that knowledge to explain/troubleshoot what they are seeing is important, but I agree that most instructors lack the ability to take that to the next level, and coach them through different sighting techniques based on their performance and feedback.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12