Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Max

(Wayne County)

Default Ruger LCP Max

Anybody carrying one of these?

I stopped into a LGS last week looking for .22 snap caps and walked out with an LCP Max.

The expanded, double stack grip on this makes it extremely comfortable to hold onto. I absolutely hated the plain LCP, but the Max is awesome!

Plus, if you buy the aftermarket Ruger 12 round mags, you can carry the pistol and two extra mags and barely know that you're carrying anything. This is the ultimate summertime, wearing shorts or a fanny pack gun.

Doesn't shoot half bad, neither.

It's also my first pistol with tritium night sights.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Default Re: Ruger LCP Max

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Anybody carrying one of these?

I stopped into a LGS last week looking for .22 snap caps and walked out with an LCP Max.

The expanded, double stack grip on this makes it extremely comfortable to hold onto. I absolutely hated the plain LCP, but the Max is awesome!

Plus, if you buy the aftermarket Ruger 12 round mags, you can carry the pistol and two extra mags and barely know that you're carrying anything. This is the ultimate summertime, wearing shorts or a fanny pack gun.

Doesn't shoot half bad, neither.

The LCP Max is my EDC. I don't like it as much as my P365, but, due to medical reasons, I can't wear a belt tight enough to carry the P365 IWB, and the Sig is too heavy for pocket carry. I installed a flat trigger from Galloway Precision and a new recoil spring. I'm running Underwood Xtreme Defender 68gr and Liberty Civil Defense 50gr Ultra Light .380. I have them staggered in both 12rnd mags. I don't really care for .380, but like I said, a pocket 9mm with comparable capacity, size, and weight is non-existent.

My gun shoots high. To the point where I have to bottom out the front sight in the rear U-notch to get it to hit where I aim. Does this with any ammo and multiple people who have shot the gun. From what I've read online, it's a common problem with the LCP Max. I really should send it back to Ruger, but I'm planning to get an LCR in .327 Mag as another EDC option sometime soon, so I will live with it until then.

(Montgomery County)

I picked up a LCP max a few weeks ago for summer pocket carry. I bought some LD Extreme Penetrator but haven*t run it through the gun yet. I did run about 300 rounds of fmj with no problems.

I*ve been carrying a Ruger LCP for deep carry since February of last year. Only problem I have had with it was with one of my holsters. Occasionally the magazine release would get enough pressure while carrying to release the magazine. Not an ideal situation for carry and I don*t use that holster any more. It has not happened in the last year with the wallet holster I use.

It*s the best shooting .380 I*ve used. between how comfortable I am with it and how many rounds of ammo it holds, it makes a perfect companion to my sig 365.

Here is a short video to watch. It shows how easy the mag release releases on some of the LCP*s. I did this test before buying mine at a gun show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQrY2oioLA

(Chester County)

This vid helped to sell me on the .380 for EDC, and sell my LC9 that I was not in love with. I run the Fiocchi Extremas in my LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    I*ve been carrying a Ruger LCP for deep carry since February of last year. Only problem I have had with it was with one of my holsters. Occasionally the magazine release would get enough pressure while carrying to release the magazine. Not an ideal situation for carry and I don*t use that holster any more. It has not happened in the last year with the wallet holster I use.

It*s the best shooting .380 I*ve used. between how comfortable I am with it and how many rounds of ammo it holds, it makes a perfect companion to my sig 365.

Here is a short video to watch. It shows how easy the mag release releases on some of the LCP*s. I did this test before buying mine at a gun show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQrY2oioLA
    Looks like I spoke to soon. I just went to put my wallet holster in my pocket and noticed that the magazine was had been released. Not good and I am using my bodyguard again for deep carry unless I find a fix for this. Last thing I need is to actually need my gun, pull it out and have the magazine go flying.

(Montgomery County)

I got one, wouldn't feed HPs, sent it back to Ruger, they replaced out of spec parts, problem still wasn't fixed so I sold it. I could have just carried ball but I lost faith in general.

This was for pocket carry around/outside the house, so a limited role but I've since mostly just stuck with the 365 for that even though form factor on the Max was better for that purpose.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    This vid helped to sell me on the .380 for EDC, and sell my LC9 that I was not in love with. I run the Fiocchi Extremas in my LCP.

This guy made some pretty good videos. Not sure why he stopped. I also really like Lucky Gunner’s penetration/expansion tests to compare calibers and brands.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...c-tests/#45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebuckets View Post
    Looks like I spoke to soon. I just went to put my wallet holster in my pocket and noticed that the magazine was had been released. Not good and I am using my bodyguard again for deep carry unless I find a fix for this. Last thing I need is to actually need my gun, pull it out and have the magazine go flying.
    I found a pocket holster on eBay that has a leather backer so it prints like a wallet. The holster is kydex and is molded to cover the mag release so it won't eject in your pocket. I will try to look it up and link it.

I took a Dremel to it to knock down some of the features I didn't need and it's just about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post

[snip]

My wife got one a year ago or so and loved it. Gave up her M&P9c, which was her favorite. I borrowed it a few times instead of my 442 for EDC pocket carry and bought my own not too long ago.

She runs the 12s in it exclusively, either in a fanny pack holster or in a dene Adams shorts doohickey. I run the 10 with a flat base plate and either a 12 or the 10 with a pinky rest as a spare. I frequently end up in non-permissive, but still legal to carry, environments, and this fits my 90% carry needs. When I'm in a more permissive environment, I'll carry AIWB with 12s.

Front night sight is excellent. I had her try a pistol in the dark with front and rear night sights,.and the extra two dots confused her. Single glowing dot is about perfect for a pocket pistol.

Both of ours cycle well and shoot to point of aim with Hornady FTX, but don't cycle well with FMJ (Winchester or Remington). I'm thinking to try S&B or Fiocchi FMJ as it tends to be hotter and American FMJ 380 is kinda weak sauce to start with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast