• Yes, I reload to save money

10 43.48%
  • No, but I want to start reloading

3 13.04%
  • No, factory ammo is good enough

2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to reloading. Tips and info.

Hello poofa crew. I have always wanted to start reloading however every time I was about to spend the money, some big event would kick off and some or most things like powered or primers would dry up.

I recently picked up a a rcbs single stage “used” from a coworker. I think he bought the kit years ago and hardly used it. He gave me all he had primers and powder and case trimmer along with scale and 357 dye. $300 I think it was a fair buy. I also picked up a dry tumbler which I have been cleaning brass with. Fortunately for the past 20 years I saved my brass from everything and also picked up range brass. So Brass is no issue.

I am looking for tips for beginners just starting out.
    Where do you get bullets and powder from? What tools are a must and what can I go without?

Thanks
    ΑΣΦ

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: New to reloading. Tips and info.

Best thing to do is find a buddy who will help get you started. It's not rocket science but it's good to get help with case mouth expansion and crimp because there's no magic formula for getting those steps right. You need a reloading manual and a micrometer to get going. I like to use Xtreme plated bullets for pistol range ammo. They have a variety of 357 available. Good luck.
    NRA Life Member

(Cumberland County)

No open flames or food stuff. Cold beers are mandatory.

(Clarion County)

Ask the mods to kick this up to the reloading section. Won't get lost in the lounge and input may be better.
    Here's a dandy primer on reloading that says more than I can repeat: http://www.three-peaks.net/reload.htm
    If you can I recommend finding a reloader in your area to spend a couple hours with. Not mandatory but can make everything clearer.
    A powder measure would be nice to add to your setup, or at least some dippers to measure powder. Keep it simple for now.
    Check your local shops for supplies. If you're getting a large order, or better yet splitting it with others, online is the way to go.

Edit: I reload for the best ammo I can get under the circumstances it'll be used.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Wayne County)

Reloading is fun if you can find all the components for the cartridge you want to reload for. Lately, it*s a crap shoot.

Moved to Ammo & Reloading forum.

I only load what i cant get reasonably,

(Berks County)

I'm fairly new to it myself and don't reload a lot but I am learning. I feel like there was a lot to take in and found it overwhelming at first. So far, I've loaded 9mm on a Dillon 550 progressive and .338 WINMAG on an RCBS single stage. So far, the only error I made was forgetting to add primers to half a dozen .338s in the process but worse can happen if you don't pay attention or get distracted. I also saved brass but also bought bullets and primers years ago for the 9mm. You'll need a bullet puller if you don't already have one. The hammer style works fine for handgun loads but I found that the collet type is needed for the .338s. Primers are coming down in price right now but I don't know about powder prices and availability is up on both over what it was. You might want to get a hand held primer remover. I never looked at them but guys have told me about them. Single stage is OK for small batches of bullets but I wouldn't be able to tolerate that for a large run.

As stated above, watching someone else give a demo would be a good idea.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northampton County)

Download this and read it. https://www.redding-reloading.com/im...ding_guide.pdf

You should also have the Lyman reloading manual. Go Slow. Forget about gadgets and gimmicks, just learn the process first.

(Jefferson County)

For the poll - you need an "Other" option.

I reload because many of the guns I have are for obsolete cartridges or because I want loads catered for my specific firearms. And I do not reload anything that automatically ejects - I'm too old to play the "Range Chicken Game". I also do it to have something "fun" to do during the bad weather months, leaving good weather for outdoor living.

There is no "saving money" until you recover the cost of the equipment and supplies. For common & cheap ammo, it could be 10's of thousands of rounds you would need to reload before you actually start saving like 9mm or 5.56mm. For rare/expensive cartridges like .700NE, .50-140, or even the .500S&W it will come sooner.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast