10 43.48%
  • No, but I want to start reloading

3 13.04%
  • No, factory ammo is good enough

2 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to reloading. Tips and info.

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    Best thing to do is find a buddy who will help get you started. It's not rocket science but it's good to get help with case mouth expansion and crimp because there's no magic formula for getting those steps right. You need a reloading manual and a micrometer to get going..
    I will 2nd this.

I was in the same place a few years ago.. Friend and fellow Poofa Member scruff offered me a deal on His fathers complete reloading set up. at way way too good to pass up.
    he took the time to show me how to reload pistol ammo and let me load some with him there to watch and help. Other friends I keep in contact with in a group chat, that all have been reloading for many years..to answer questions I had in the beginning...and from time to time now. Ive tried a few different brands or companies bullets And I stick with Ron's STEEL VALLEY CASTING bullets ( https://www.steelvalleycasting.com/ ) Go slow and check and recheck..Be safe ,it doesn't need to be a race..Guys are like I loaded another 1000 tonight.. hell I would go down after dinner sometimes and load 25 or 50., some days 200 or more. I usually prep 500 to 1000 cases at a time in steps. resize, expand the case mouth & inspect cases then prime and then I'm really to load when i have some time

(Susquehanna County)

I've been reloading since the early 1970s rifle and pistol calibers and I've made just about every mistake one could make. I've resized my thumb and seated my index finger. The best advice I can give a beginner is to buy or otherwise acquire at least a few good reloading manuals. Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Lyman are all good and READ the instructions in the how to section several times. Of course there are other resources some on the net too.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I've been reloading since the early 1970s rifle and pistol calibers and I've made just about every mistake one could make. I've resized my thumb and seated my index finger. The best advice I can give a beginner is to buy or otherwise acquire at least a few good reloading manuals. Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Lyman are all good and READ the instructions in the how to section several times. Of course there are other resources some on the net too.
    Have to second the above about PRINTED manuals. The web can be very helpful for new powder load data, and you should try to find a local guy to help get you started. Check out the ranges you frequent for reloaders in the area. Last of all, where the hell is Cow Country ???
    Last edited by 2Late45; July 24th, 2023 at 12:54 AM.
    For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post

I am looking for tips for beginners just starting out.
    Where do you get bullets and powder from? What tools are a must and what can I go without?

Thanks
    Bullets:

https://store.tjconevera.com/

https://thebluebullets.com/

Powder - buy local. When I started (a million years ago) it was with Bullseye and Unique. Today there are better choices, and for range use pistol ammunition its easy to pick a powder that allows you to load across a spectrum of calibers (e.g. W231 - there are others).

Primers - buy local. Prices have come down a fair bit (July 2023).

Learning - few people know, but there is a NRA Basic Metallic Cartridge Reloading Course that you can take (if you can find one offered). The booklet from that course is pretty good for starting out.

There are a plethora of good books and manuals on reloading:

https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Gui.../dp/148207379X
    https://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloadin.../dp/1951115279

Back in the day I learned from this ancient tome: https://www.amazon.com/Handloading-H.../dp/0695811991 - you might find it at a used book store :-)

Good luck! Go slow. Have fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12