Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default New Hunting Boots Recommendations

Im in the market for new hunting boots for cold weather. Was looking at the Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots. they seem to get good reviews. anyone have experience with these or another brand they recommend?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New Hunting Boots Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    Im in the market for new hunting boots for cold weather. Was looking at the Irish Setter Elk Tracker boots. they seem to get good reviews. anyone have experience with these or another brand they recommend?
    I gave up on traditional boots five years ago, and went with Muck Arctic Ice neoprene high boots. They are bulky but not too overly cumbersome. They loosen up pretty quickly, and the Frankenstein walk becomes less pronounced.

Hands down the warmest boot I've worn. They're also super comfortable. There's no hot spots and they're not tight. Your feet have a bit of cushy elbow room, and they definitely breathe better.

I do hunt in some areas that can get pretty wet. There's marshy spots and a few creeks and streams. Then there's rain and snow. Wet feet are cold feet, and nothing keeps them drier that muck boots. I won't go back to traditional style hunting boots in cold weather. For me, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I gave up on traditional boots five years ago, and went with Muck Arctic Ice neoprene high boots. They are bulky but not too overly cumbersome. They loosen up pretty quickly, and the Frankenstein walk becomes less pronounced.

Hands down the warmest boot I've worn. They're also super comfortable. There's no hot spots and they're not tight. Your feet have a bit of cushy elbow room, and they definitely breathe better.

I do hunt in some areas that can get pretty wet. There's marshy spots and a few creeks and streams. Then there's rain and snow. Wet feet are cold feet, and nothing keeps them drier that muck boots. I won't go back to traditional style hunting boots in cold weather. For me, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
    i have thought about muck boots but it might take some getting used to wearing them. i am also not one that sits long past sunrise. normally i tend to walk around a ton especially during rifle season.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    i have thought about muck boots but it might take some getting used to wearing them. i am also not one that sits long past sunrise. normally i tend to walk around a ton especially during rifle season.
    They're fine to walk around in. Like I said, they do loosen up quickly and probably aren't any stiffer than a high top 800-1200 gram insulated hunting boot.

I'm not familiar with the particular boot you specified, but I do currently have a pair of Irish Setter work boots that are great. I have wide feet and large surface veins, so it's tough to find comfortable footwear. These have plenty of room and are well constructed. the foot beds are pretty flat but a pair of arched insoles fixed that. They are actually roomy enough that they're not too tight with them in there.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Bucks County)

I*ve always had great luck with Danner boots, always goretex and both insulated and uninsulated.

(Lancaster County)

For hiking, I have been wearing the same pair of Herman Survivors since 1979 when my dad passed them on to me. Not sure how long he had them. I have had them resoled once.

For sitting in a treestand, I am on my 3rd pair of Bean boots. The 1st pair lasted approx 30 years. I could have had them resoled but my wife insisted it was time for a new pair. The 2nd pair is still fine but my wife needed a Christmas gift for me and bought me pair #3. Pair #2 stays in my truck.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    For hiking, I have been wearing the same pair of Herman Survivors since 1979 when my dad passed them on to me. Not sure how long he had them. I have had them resoled once.

For sitting in a treestand, I am on my 3rd pair of Bean boots. The 1st pair lasted approx 30 years. I could have had them resoled but my wife insisted it was time for a new pair. The 2nd pair is still fine but my wife needed a Christmas gift for me and bought me pair #3. Pair #2 stays in my truck.
    I had a pair of Herman Survivors for about 35 years. My Bean boots have been resoled and have a pair of Muck boots with 800 Thinsulate.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Lancaster County)

Muck Woody Max were my favorite. Very warm and comfortable to hike in over rough terrain.

(York County)

Sorel boots. Only boots that could ever keep my feet warm.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(Berks County)

crispi was another brand i have seen recommended but they are pricey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast