Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Yet, another model 70 value question thread !

P1080913.jpgP1080917.jpgP1080912.jpgP1080915.jpgP1080914.jpg

Yet another opinion thread on “what’s my rifle worth “I have done some lengthy google searches on Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade custom shop and variations of that theme and have come up with prices all over the place from the high teens to upwards of 4K or more. S.P.Fjestads Blue Book barely touches the Custom Shop guns.
    The rifle is a (post ‘64) Model 70 Super Grade 30-06 with the New Haven Custom Shop Proof on the barrel near the Winchester factory proof. It shows the beautiful engine turning jeweling on the bolt and follower and the smooth bolt knob which are the signature features found on the custom shop guns vs the factory production.

It is a mid 90’s production (USRAC) Classic Controlled Feed in satin blue and a Pacific Research composite stock. These later went on to being Rimrock Stocks AKA Jim Borden Rifles and are very nice lightweight stocks. The barrel is a slim contour 24” with the nicest set of iron sights, I’ve used on a bolt gun, oddly in my search I never encountered a Super Grade with irons, but I’ve learned the Custom shop guns can be ordered ala carte with any option desired by the buyer, it is topped with a Leupold VX-III 2.5-10x40mm scope on Leupold QD rings and mounts.

I did call the Winchester customer service and they did confirm that by the serial numbers it is indeed a Custom shop gun, that the first 10,000 serial numbers of the newly designed classic controlled feed were reserved for the custom shop. This rifle is a very early production # G1XXX. Although regrettably the records for these rifles where lost or destroyed during the bankruptcy/closing and subsequent purchase by FN, who shuttered and ceased production at the New Haven plant. The gent I spoke too went as far to suggest a disgruntled union employee destroyed the records. Either way they could not provide me with an as built sheet or a letter of provenance for the rifle.

The rifle is a safe queen at 98-99% condition, it has a very small nick in the stock (barely 1mm) which I did on its only hunting day in the field, gave me such a guilt trip it hasn’t left the safe but two or three times in 20 years.

So, what do the resident Winchester guru’s feel it is worth? I am looking to move it along to partially finance a pole barn. Getting close to retirement and must trade tit for tat on many discretionary big-ticket toys while trying to pad the retirement war chest. Seriously considering Gun Broker to get the max amount of exposure.

So, any thoughts on it’s value will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Yet, another model 70 value question thread !

Its the pre 64 rifles that go for the big bucks. You do have a very nice rifle but being make in the 90's with a synthetic stock I doubt it is worth 4K. What did you pay for it? If you can get a little more now you did good.

But what do I know. As always it depends if you find the right buyer.

(Bucks County)

Post '64 rifles are not going for big money. A Grand would probably be tops.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Elk County)

IMO, ~$1500, +/- $200, with the scope. Problem is, you have to find the right buyer that collects late production custom shop boltguns. Those people exist, but they aren't prevalent.

Second problem, the older crowd that historically used or collected Winchester boltguns is diminishing. The younger gunbuying crowd prefers black guns or milsurps, guns they selected when playing shoot em up video games. I predict that prices for pre-64 Winchesters will decrease as more collections become available and interested parties die off.

Was me, I'd list it on GB for 14 days, starting at $0.01, to end on a Sunday night at 9:00 Eastern Time when everyone is home and hopefully two or more bidders are hot for it and maybe bid it up for you. (People that list auctions to end weekday mornings or early afternoons when many are at work are just plain stupid.)

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks Noah, Good post. Ive always pondered the passion for the pre 64 Myth. Sure, the late 60's early 70's guns were of dubious manufacture. but the CNC manufactured guns made later and especially by FN are much better guns than any pre 64. I will look into Gun Broker, I have bought from their but never sold.

That strategy for ending Sunday evening is what I use for most of my collectable Ebay sales, it does work well for a bidding war

(Elk County)

The late Model 70 Custom rifles reintoduced the controlled feed extractor and some other pre-64 features, so in effect it's "pre-64" in terms of classic features and content, hence the higher value than run-of-mill post-64 70s. But you gotta find a buyer of interest. More people like wood stocks despite the synthetic's inherent stability. Good luck!

Noah

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Second problem, the older crowd that historically used or collected Winchester boltguns is diminishing. The younger gunbuying crowd prefers black guns or milsurps, guns they selected when playing shoot em up video games. I predict that prices for pre-64 Winchesters will decrease as more collections become available and interested parties die off.

Noah
    Another issue with the long term value of classic hunting rifles is the number of hunters have been dropping steadily since 1980. I have also read the number of first time hunters declined even more. I would buy a rifle because I liked it and not as an investment.

Fewer_Deer_Fewer_Hunters3.jpg

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Another issue with the long term value of classic hunting rifles is the number of hunters have been dropping steadily since 1980. I have also read the number of first time hunters declined even more. I would buy a rifle because I liked it and not as an investment.

Fewer_Deer_Fewer_Hunters3.jpg
    Estrogen in plastic and water systems.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Estrogen in plastic and water systems.
    No cell phone app for deer hunting.

Noah