Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Dove hunting

(Montgomery County)

Default Dove hunting

Does anyone know any good dove hunting spots in SE PA? I’ve been to Game Farm rd and Linfield public lands. They’re both okay for the first one or two days of the season but then they lose birds.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Dove hunting

Looks for farms with grain fields. Corn, wheat, oats, and barley. Knock on some doors and ask permission.

The only times we have an "abundance" of dove on my dad's family farm is when we a grain harvest that year, or we allow the timothy to grow to reseed for hay. Most other years we may only have a couple of breeding pairs - which we avoid harvesting.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Thanks!

(Chester County)

Places that store or dig gravel. Go in the late afternoon when the birds come in to grit up.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Berks County)

the state does have fields they plant with sunflowers for doves. there are some in berks but the first day of the season can be crazy in my area. you gotten get your spot real early.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Looks for farms with grain fields. Corn, wheat, oats, and barley. Knock on some doors and ask permission.

The only times we have an "abundance" of dove on my dad's family farm is when we a grain harvest that year, or we allow the timothy to grow to reseed for hay. Most other years we may only have a couple of breeding pairs - which we avoid harvesting.
    This is the only way to go. I was extremely uncomfortable walking up and knocking on a land owners doors. I thought I may get shot.
    What I found was great people and life long friends. I have access to some amazing steelhead fishing and hunting. I don't abuse the privilege and always bring the appropriate beverage.

If you want the sweet spots

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    the state does have fields they plant with sunflowers for doves. there are some in berks but the first day of the season can be crazy in my area. you gotten get your spot real early.
    Yeah, sunflower farms/fields is another good spot. I totally forgot about that.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lawrence County)

Gotta agree, knock on some doors. If you find a good farm that will let you hunt, you can always ask if they'd mind you coming out in spring and plant sunflowers and such in places they can't use. Little wood lots in the middle of the fields where too many huge rocks and tree stumps are will grow sunflowers. That little spot they just drive their tractors between fields? Radishes and turnips are good late fall and winter foods for deer but can grow brown top millet for doves and other birds in the summer.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Berks County)

who all went out this morning. was a little rusty this morning but bagged out by 930.