Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default M1 Garand gunsmith

Looking for someone experienced in repairs on an M1 Garand. It is short stroking and not loading the next round when firing. The gas tube is clean and it is clear from the barrel. The end of the op-rod on a micrometer looks like it is within specs. I just put in a new Orion7 op spring. Still not working correctly. It passes the Tilt Test fine.

I am in South Central, PA. The Fulton Armory is about two hours away. I was told there is a good one near Duncannon. Any other suggestions? It needs more help than I can do right now.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: M1 Garand gunsmith

Did this just start happening? Factory loads or reloads?

Is it short stroking so the next round in the clip just sits there on an empty chamber? Or does the round leave the clip and get hung up feeding?

Sounds like the little hole near the muzzle is clogged where the gases enter the gas cylinder or the entry to the gas cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    Sounds like the little hole near the muzzle is clogged where the gases enter the gas cylinder or the entry to the gas cylinder.
    Or the gas cylinder is worn and oversized. There is a way to check it if you have some belted magnum cases but lets see what the OP says first.

(Lancaster County)

As I had said, the gas tube is clear through to the barel, meaning the gas hole is clean. This is using factory American Eagle Garand loads. I need to check exactly what the inside dimensions should be on the gas tube, but with the op rod in place, there appears to be no visible light between the op rod and the sides of the gas tube. I am using a digital micrometer for all measurements.

The rifle cycles, the bolt gets reset so it is ready to fire the next round. It is not cycling back enough to strip off the next round to chamber it. I can manually cycle it and the round then does load correctly. I have two en bloc clips and it does this on both. I have been through all of the garand Youtubes and websites regarding this problem.

At this point, I am looking for a gunsmith in South Central PA who has experience on the Garand.

(Elk County)

I have the gauges and spare parts and would be happy to do the troubleshooting and repair, but I'm 4h north-northwest of you. If you can't find anyone, I'll be in Carlisle 21-22 July and we could meet, I'll take it home and when finished ship it to back to you. I'd do it for current cost of parts and return shipping.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

That*s the best deal you*re ever going to get hands down.
    Let Noah hook you up.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I have the gauges and spare parts and would be happy to do the troubleshooting and repair, but I'm 4h north-northwest of you. If you can't find anyone, I'll be in Carlisle 21-22 July and we could meet, I'll take it home and when finished ship it to back to you. I'd do it for current cost of parts and return shipping.

Noah
    If he takes you up on that offer, would you post your diagnostic results?

(Lancaster County)

Interesting option with Noah. Kinsey's suggested that I speak with their gunsmith, either for him to do the work or if he knows of someone. A co-worker who also has had a Garand for years has had work done at Reeser's in Duncannon. Of course, both of those have been closed for the holiday. I may be able to talk to one of them tomorrow. (Friday.)

(Lancaster County)

Found the specs on the gas cylinder. It measures out that the inner diameter is out of spec. The end of the op-rod is at the very minimum of the spec. Put the two together and they would combined, not meet specs. Could be the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast