Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Groove belts for carry short review

I've been getting their ads forever and ended up doing an impulse buy last weekend at a Dunhams that had them on the shelf. I wasn't sure how well they'd work but were marketed as a great belt for carrying.

I must say I wish I'd have bought one years ago. This by far beats out every other gun belt I've used. Once adjusted and cut to your size (up to 50") they come together via a magnetic latching system. What makes them so much more comfortable is the belt has some stretch to it so it doesn't dig into your stomach.

I figured with the weight of the gun and the stretch it might be an issue but there's no give vertically and it stays right in place just like a more traditional gun belt.

Default Re: Groove belts for carry short review

I've been wearing a Groove belt for two years. I've tried all of the ratcheting belts and the biggest problem is the buckles are too thick and often have sharp~ish corners that dig into my gut. The Groove belt is very comfortable, but not great for IWB carry, IMO. I found that the buckle doesn't stay where it's adjusted to, causing the belt to expand over time. Especially if I'm getting in and out of the car a lot or bending over. Due to medical issues, I can't carry IWB right now, so it's not that big a deal. If I ever do get back to IWB carry, I will probably add some velcro or add a stitch to keep the belt from expanding.

(Allegheny County)

How would you describe your “shape”? lol. Asking for a fruity friend… ha.

It’s an awkward question & I’m no physical specimen… BUT, since I’ve went hardcore a few years ago about being in shape, I only want the super stiff ratchet style like Kore. Even a stiff good leather belt seems like it has more give than I’d like. The one downside for me with the Kore ones, is needing to offset the buckle to my hip (10 o’clock for me) to set up my AIWB where I want it without adding a larger bump at 12:30

I like be interested in the Groove type for home use… I’ve looked them recently with that in mind.

magnets.....Hmmm....I'll take a buckle....omo.

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    How would you describe your *shape*? lol. Asking for a fruity friend* ha.

It*s an awkward question & I*m no physical specimen* BUT, since I*ve went hardcore a few years ago about being in shape, I only want the super stiff ratchet style like Kore. Even a stiff good leather belt seems like it has more give than I*d like. The one downside for me with the Kore ones, is needing to offset the buckle to my hip (10 o*clock for me) to set up my AIWB where I want it without adding a larger bump at 12:30

I like be interested in the Groove type for home use* I*ve looked them recently with that in mind.
    LOL, I'm 6' 2" and go for about 195lb right now. I'd say somewhat athletic build but I stopped lifting probably close to a year ago so I've got a little belly fat now. From what I've seen still wearing it the vertical stiffness is pretty impressive given how flexible it is for stretching. I think that's why I like it because it has some give vs other gun belts I've used that just dig in.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    magnets.....Hmmm....I'll take a buckle....omo.
    It's actually super simple, there's two clips that you slide it over and once in place it catches the magnet. To remove you just have to push it sideways to free it from the clips otherwise I haven't had it come undone by accident yet.

(Beaver County)

Not to come in and down on groove belts but it seems too flimsy to me- I use kore belts and suggest you give them a try if you want something other than belt holes. Hanks is my pick for belts with traditional holes but you gotta try kore for ratchet system-in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by OwenP View Post
    Not to come in and down on groove belts but it seems too flimsy to me- I use kore belts and suggest you give them a try if you want something other than belt holes. Hanks is my pick for belts with traditional holes but you gotta try kore for ratchet system-in my opinion
    Just replaced my Groove Belt today with a Kore belt. I see what Ronin was talking about, at first the Groove Belt seems great but over time it just loosens up. They need better retention to stop it from sliding and getting lose over time. It was getting to the point where I was adjusting it pretty much daily to get it tight again.

So far I'm digging the ratchet system on the Kore belt. It allows for micro adjustments which is a big plus, with normal gun belts it always felt like they were either to tight or to loose.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    Just replaced my Groove Belt today with a Kore belt. I see what Ronin was talking about, at first the Groove Belt seems great but over time it just loosens up. They need better retention to stop it from sliding and getting lose over time. It was getting to the point where I was adjusting it pretty much daily to get it tight again.

So far I'm digging the ratchet system on the Kore belt. It allows for micro adjustments which is a big plus, with normal gun belts it always felt like they were either to tight or to loose.
    Is it as stiff as it looks in the pictures? I too am always adjusting the Groove belt. I have a Comp Tac that is really stiff and uncomfortable, so it lives in the closet.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    Is it as stiff as it looks in the pictures? I too am always adjusting the Groove belt. I have a Comp Tac that is really stiff and uncomfortable, so it lives in the closet.
    It's stiff but not as bad as most generic gun belts you find in gun stores. I've worn it less than a week so far and I'm sure it'll break in a little bit over the next month or so. It's definitely not nearly as comfortable as a Groove belt but more comfortable than cheaper gun generic brand gun belts.