Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default ATF-NFA background check

Does anybody know what kind of a background check the ATF does to approve a NFA item?

Is it just a simple NICS check or is it somehow more in depth?
    Why oh why do they want INK rolled prints instead of digital?
    if they have my prints for THIS NFA item, why do they need them AGAIN for the next, they already have my prints on file and they don't change?

If it's just a NICS check +prints, why can't this be done with digital prints at the time of purchase sent into the ATF, then they mail you the stamp, in the mean time you get a temp stamp from the LGA that you bought the NFA item.

This entire process is just stupid and inefficient unless there are things I am missing in this.

I know if i told the government they have to wait 9 months to get a response from me they would flip a cog, but it seems perfectly fine for THEM to take 9 months for a form 4.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

Default Re: ATF-NFA background check

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    Does anybody know what kind of a background check the ATF does to approve a NFA item?

Is it just a simple NICS check or is it somehow more in depth?
    Why oh why do they want INK rolled prints instead of digital?
    if they have my prints for THIS NFA item, why do they need them AGAIN for the next, they already have my prints on file and they don't change?

If it's just a NICS check +prints, why can't this be done with digital prints at the time of purchase sent into the ATF, then they mail you the stamp, in the mean time you get a temp stamp from the LGA that you bought the NFA item.

This entire process is just stupid and inefficient unless there are things I am missing in this.

I know if i told the government they have to wait 9 months to get a response from me they would flip a cog, but it seems perfectly fine for THEM to take 9 months for a form 4.
    The whole point is to make it a pain in the ass, the tougher it seems the less people want to do it.

it is a pain in the ass - i ordered a bunch of fingerprint cards from silencer shop. in case you are in their system, they will print and mail cards to you so you don't have to get inked up every time.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    it is a pain in the ass - i ordered a bunch of fingerprint cards from silencer shop. in case you are in their system, they will print and mail cards to you so you don't have to get inked up every time.
    Just make sure the cards they send you are not dated. IIRC if the cards are older than 2 years the ATF/FBI will reject them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Blair County)

You can look into getting prints done digitally (Printscan, available at some UPS stores) then you can submit the file using the e-forms system. If you want to get the digital prints done you can pay another service to print them onto the cards if you prefer to paper file.

The whole process is a pain in the butt. It shouldn't be but it is. I'm just glad people are still going through the process. I'm seeing more suppressors out there so it's not as foreign and scary as they were before.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Washington County)

Just like filing income taxes, transferring a car title and registering it, etc. it is overly complicated, inefficient, and illogical.

Enjoy the ride, because it never ends.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Just like filing income taxes, transferring a car title and registering it, etc. it is overly complicated, inefficient, and illogical.

Enjoy the ride, because it never ends.

No kidding, regardless of what branch of government or what level (local, state or fed) they are the kings of inefficiency and the gifts that keep on giving.

(Chester County)

I found my answer here. Grrrr

Nothing more than a fucking NICS check, they don't even run the prints, they just store them for fucks sake because it's a requirement of the law, no wonder they wanted them ink rolled instead of digital, just something to have on file and easily jammed into your little manila folder (you know, because they still use paper in spite of the government having a shit ton of databases with all of our other information).

GOD OH MIGHTY how I hate inefficiencies and redundant bullshit, and especially having to pay for it all with my taxes, THEN being looked at like I have 2 heads for complaining about it.
    Last edited by dunno; June 6th, 2023 at 10:30 AM.