Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Gun trading by bordering states question

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Lol..

(Allegheny County)

Even tho all gun laws are BS, this one is exceptionally BS. Having to involve an FFL to transfer a gun from someone 11 miles away just because he is in a bordering state. Thank god the ATF is in the process of taking thier own jobs lol a free constitutional republic can not susvive so many laws and regs much longer.

(Jefferson County)

Yeah, it is BS - but still the law until we can repeal it or get the courts to shoot it down.

Unfortunately, federal laws on guns are practically all felonies. 10yrs and yuge fines!
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Did you miss the "or receive in the state"?

for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;
    I see it. If I am readiing it correctly, it says that I also cant buy a firearm from someone who moved here from another state after purchasing it legally in the state they used to reside in which tells me we are missing some context.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Have you ever bought a long gun in a face to face transaction without checking the sellers ID? I have never asked a seller for ID or had a buyer ask for my ID during perfectly legal sales.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    I see it. If I am readiing it correctly, it says that I also cant buy a firearm from someone who moved here from another state after purchasing it legally in the state they used to reside in which tells me we are missing some context.
    Possibly. Fortunately knight0334 posted a link to the law in it's entirety in post #7.
    So he has that going for him.
    Which is nice.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

The prohibition forbids a person (unless excepted or involving an FFL in the transfer):
    1. going out of his home state to acquire a firearm and then bring it back to his home state;
    2. have a firearm delivered to him in his home state from an out-of-state source.

Your scenario of acquiring a firearm from a resident of the same state as the transferee (buyer), assuming that the transfer occurs within that state of which they are both residents, is not precluded by 18 USC 922(a)(3). The state in which the transferor (seller) originally acquired the firearm is immaterial.
    IANAL

(York County)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tl_3237 again."
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Jefferson County)

If they moved here, they are no longer an OH resident. Your original posting mentioned the seller being an OH resident.

It doesn't matter where that person once resided when they had acquired said firearms(so long as they acquired it legally then). Once they moved to the new state, they aren't residents of the former state. When they became PA residents, you need only abide by PA law since it isn't an interstate transfer. PA only regulates transfers of "firearms"(handguns, SBS, SBR, and any gun under 26" AOL). Rifles and shotguns can be bought/sold/traded as freely as a coffee table(except to prohibited persons).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12