Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Learning to hunt using black powder

So I ended up going to Ft. Chambers black powder shop in Chambersburg and ended up getting a Lyman Deerstalker Flintlock in 50 cal. I havent shot it yet, but am wondering how to keep the gun shooting, mainly swabbing between shots. I've been told that after 2-3 shots that I need to clean. I've seen where shooters will swab the bore between shots to keep the gun shooting. Of course making sure the touch hole isn't obstructed with fouling (use a pick to clear the channel) helps. But how to swab? Swab with a dry patch? Run an alcohol patch and follow up with a dry patch? How does one go to the range and shoot a bunch of patch and ball?

I bought wonderlube patches, so the patches come pre lubed. I was advised that I may very well add a little bore butter to the patch to help it along if need be. Does anyone know how to use bore butter? Is it mainly a patch lubricant?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Learning to hunt using black powder

Quote Originally Posted by plipscom@kent.edu View Post
    So I ended up going to Ft. Chambers black powder shop in Chambersburg and ended up getting a Lyman Deerstalker Flintlock in 50 cal. I havent shot it yet, but am wondering how to keep the gun shooting, mainly swabbing between shots. I've been told that after 2-3 shots that I need to clean. I've seen where shooters will swab the bore between shots to keep the gun shooting. Of course making sure the touch hole isn't obstructed with fouling (use a pick to clear the channel) helps. But how to swab? Swab with a dry patch? Run an alcohol patch and follow up with a dry patch? How does one go to the range and shoot a bunch of patch and ball?

I bought wonderlube patches, so the patches come pre lubed. I was advised that I may very well add a little bore butter to the patch to help it along if need be. Does anyone know how to use bore butter? Is it mainly a patch lubricant?
    Never swab with a dry patch...spit or lube em

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123