Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Learning to hunt using black powder

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    You suggested a pellet type ML. Assuming the OP wants to hunt the late season, he needs a flintlock. What do you prime a pellet loaded flinter with? Pyrodex is extremely unreliable as a priming powder, so at a minimum, he’ll need BP for his priming. Might as well just use BP all around (FFFg works well as a prime and main charge). The new Goex isnt available yet but Swiss and Schuetzen is plentiful.
    Yes, Id like to take advantage of the muzzleloading opportunities to fill the freezer and understand that i'll likely need an inline for early season and a Flintlock for it's own season (though I've been told I can use the FL for early season if I wanted to). In my research thus far, it seems that the best bet is to stick with the gun's manual and the suggested loadings from the manufacturer and gather that BP is difficult to find but is preferred for flintlocks. Inline seems to be pretty straightforward though. Given that ill have a newborn any day now, my hunting opportunities will be limited this season, hence the reason to take advantage of the Muzzleloading offerings to maximize my opportunities to put some food on the table.

For inline, I've been looking at the traditions pursuit XT (in the many forms it comes in) and CVA offerings like the optima or accura. I've not done as much research for FLs but the PA pellet has gotten high praises. Two different systems, I know, and im sure Ill learn as I go - especially powders, bullets and such. I've heard blackhorn 209 is the most desired type of BP.

Where do you get your supplies? most of my research has been youtube, muzzleloaders.com and that's about it.

If you are on FB check out Paflintlock hunter.

(Lawrence County)

Or, and this is just a suggestion, think crossbow. Archery season is much longer and the only benefit to muzzleloader is during late flintlock and getting to use an antlered tag for a doe.

Early season muzzleloader is 10/14-10/21 Flintlock is 12/26-1/15
    Archery is 9/30-11/17 and then 12/26-1/15

With a crossbow you can practice in your backyard, supplies are easy to find, cheap, and you get more days. No wet powder, no mis-strikes with a flint. Silicone on the rail and wax on the string and you're good to go. If I just wanted meat for the freezer, thet's the direction I would go. Again, just a suggestion.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lancaster County)

This would be an excellent and economical starter gun :
    https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...ck-Black-Blued
    I know the big box retailers (walmart) used to sell this rifle in a blisterpack with all the accessories needed to get started with the exception of powder at a very reasonable price.
    In my opinion do not start with an inline pellet rifle, go flintlock, it is the nicest season where you are generally out alone, orange not required as its the only season for those two weeks very quiet and relaxing. Although can be the coldest of all the hunting seasons, Ive not been out for a few years but i do recall the last time out it was in the teens and snowcovered. nothing puts a smile on you than the flash an Kaboom of a Flintlock.
    I just lucked into a Spanish non branded 45 cal Flintlock at a yard sale for $60 and gave it to my 16 year old daughter. she was ecstatic with giggles the first time she touched it off. she has since been shooting my .54 cal Hawken and my .54 Harpers Ferry pistol and is now hooked. luckily i have a pretty deep stash of powder.
    after hearing of the fires at the Goex plant, I went out and bought plenty.

(Northampton County)

Does BP have a shelf life? I have half a can that's at least 25 years old. Worked fine last time I used it about 10 years ago.

(Cumberland County)

[QUOTE=Chazman321;4795485]Or, and this is just a suggestion, think crossbow. Archery season is much longer and the only benefit to muzzleloader is during late flintlock and getting to use an antlered tag for a doe.

I have a compound bow. I learned a million lessons my first archery season. I feel that archery requires a different strategy altogether simple based on the fact that the muzzleloader can reach out a little further and am not as reliant on a deer coming in close. The first buck I shot was with a compound and I didnt recover it. I have my archery license for this year.. but have only done compound. Keep in mind that Im only in my third season of hunting. I've only gotten one deer.. during regular rifle - it was a button buck and I had a friend from church come by to help me with my first field dress. on the first poke,, I sliced my thumb and had to get 6 stitches.. I havent even gotten the opportunity to field dress yet.. not that that has anything to do with archery, but I felt terrible after I lost that 6 pointer and have been less confident in my archery abilities - hence why Im leaning towards the method where I've had some success

Quote Originally Posted by edskyy View Post
    Does BP have a shelf life? I have half a can that's at least 25 years old. Worked fine last time I used it about 10 years ago.
    As long as it was kept dry it should be ok

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=plipscom@kent.edu;4795812]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    Or, and this is just a suggestion, think crossbow. Archery season is much longer and the only benefit to muzzleloader is during late flintlock and getting to use an antlered tag for a doe.

I have a compound bow. I learned a million lessons my first archery season. I feel that archery requires a different strategy altogether simple based on the fact that the muzzleloader can reach out a little further and am not as reliant on a deer coming in close. The first buck I shot was with a compound and I didnt recover it. I have my archery license for this year.. but have only done compound. Keep in mind that Im only in my third season of hunting. I've only gotten one deer.. during regular rifle - it was a button buck and I had a friend from church come by to help me with my first field dress. on the first poke,, I sliced my thumb and had to get 6 stitches.. I havent even gotten the opportunity to field dress yet.. not that that has anything to do with archery, but I felt terrible after I lost that 6 pointer and have been less confident in my archery abilities - hence why Im leaning towards the method where I've had some success
    Shooting an inline is pretty rifle like, but shooting a flintlock is a whole different ball of wax. I find shooting a bow a lot easier than shooting a flintlock.

As far as Pyrodex in a PA Pellet, I've done it, and it works (priming the pan with real black 4fg). You'll get slower ignition though. Which, after a certain point it helps. If it burns really fast, you don't have time to flinch. If it burns really slow you have time to correct. When it's somewhere in between, that's where a flinch can really screw you up.

PA Pellets are a workable rifle, but I found I enjoyed my TC Renegade more (not made anymore, but you can find them). Better put together, better trigger, just a more enjoyable gun to shoot.

If you get a flint gun, don't wait until a week before the season to start practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyDave View Post
    Yes, I am aware they're all technically "designed" and can safely handle pyrodex but they're still flintlocks. I would highly recommend to just stick with BP - but that's my opinion. Thanks and be well.
    Yep.

(Clearfield County)

Definitely stick with black powder. I’d recommend getting a 50 cal flinter. Look for a used Thompson center in good shape and you won’t be disappointed. I’d also recommend 3f for your charge and even in the pan if you’d like (slightly less prone to moisture issues than 4f). The key to being proficient is practice, practice, and more practice. The small things often matter more with a flinter. Follow through is very important!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast