Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (York County)

Default Re: Road Trip with handgun suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    ^^^^This. Go the southern route around Chicago, too. Any time of day on 80 you will be slowed down significantly.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf
    Here's another reference straight from IL state police website: https://isp.illinois.gov/StaticFiles...%20Firearm.pdf

My quick summary of that doc:

For out of state folks with valid permit / license for their home state, while in car firearm must be

-Disassembled to non-functioning state, OR
    -"Not immediately accessible", OR
    -Unloaded / Locked in a case.

-If you leave the car, firearm must be locked in a case (which includes lockable glovebox or center console) out of plain sight.
    -IL state law doesn't override local ordinances, so all the more reason to avoid Chicago.

Summary is my own interpretation. Read it for yourself.

I've driven through IL many times with firearms. On a couple occasions multiple firearms. I go with unloaded / locked up in a case in the trunk/cargo area. I once had my EDC unloaded & locked in the glovebox, which is arguably still compliant (though that was actually absent-mindedness on my part). I've stopped to get gas/pee but that's about it. My route is always the 'southern' route - I-70. Never had a problem (OTOH never had an encounter with LE). YMMV.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Fly Gadsden flag from roof of car, shouting CONSTITUTION MOTHERFUCKER! at oncoming traffic.
    You're thinking of the free state of Missouri, right next door.
    DGAF

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Here's another reference straight from IL state police website: https://isp.illinois.gov/StaticFiles...%20Firearm.pdf

My quick summary of that doc:

For out of state folks with valid permit / license for their home state, while in car firearm must be

-Disassembled to non-functioning state, OR
    -"Not immediately accessible", OR
    -Unloaded / Locked in a case.

-If you leave the car, firearm must be locked in a case (which includes lockable glovebox or center console) out of plain sight.
    -IL state law doesn't override local ordinances, so all the more reason to avoid Chicago.

Summary is my own interpretation. Read it for yourself.

I've driven through IL many times with firearms. On a couple occasions multiple firearms. I go with unloaded / locked up in a case in the trunk/cargo area. I once had my EDC unloaded & locked in the glovebox, which is arguably still compliant (though that was actually absent-mindedness on my part). I've stopped to get gas/pee but that's about it. My route is always the 'southern' route - I-70. Never had a problem (OTOH never had an encounter with LE). YMMV.
    Unless you meant "without a valid license/permit from their home state", you completely missed item #4 directly after items #1, 2, and 3 which you listed (and I bolded), which states " A non-resident who has a valid Concealed Carry License from their home state may carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle traveling through Illinois. If the non-resident leaves the vehicle unattended, the firearm must be stored concealed in a case inside the locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle out of plain view. For the purpose of subsection 430 ILCS 66/65(b), a *case* includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Allegheny County)

Do not spend money in states that do t honor your permit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123