Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: Road Trip with handgun suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Avoid stops as much as possible; do not remove the items from the vehicle for any reason while in an unfriendly state.
    Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    When I travel I just avoid states without reciprocity. Walley is right though, if you must go through IL you'd just need the gun and ammo in separate locked cases out of your reach.

I'm stubborn though, if Montana was my destination I'd go down through Ohio into Kentucky and up through Missouri/Iowa and cut out IL altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Dont stop and Conceal !
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Gun and ammo in separate containers and out of your reach. Be more law abiding than normal and I'd recommend avoiding Chiraq area. Traffic there is always memorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    As others have mentioned some states require the firearm to be locked in a case. But before you go out and buy an expensive hard case and an expensive lock realize the law doesn't say how its supposed to be locked. When traveling in unfriendly states I put mine in a zippered soft case or even a gym bag with a dollar store lock thru the zipper tabs. Its "locked".

Last time I checked they were 3 for $1.
    If you all read the link I posted, on the bottom of page 10 to top of page 11 is the law governing non-residents carrying in a vehicle. You only need a resident permit from the state you reside in to carry in a vehicle. Following FOPA rules is not necessary. You can't get out of the car with it, and the car must be locked if you do leave it in the car.

Carry on.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Son, I am disappoint. This advice is not without risks.
    You can do better, help a brother out.
    It's actually just as good as some other advice here, because it is not against the law for a non-resident to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Illinois. One doesn't even have to be passing directly through without stopping.

Maybe bigger and bolder will help.
    Again, read the link I posted.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    It's actually just as good as some other advice here, because it is not against the law for a non-resident to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Illinois. One doesn't even have to be passing directly through without stopping.

Maybe bigger and bolder will help.
    Again, read the link I posted.

Finally, a post I can read :rollseyes:

I don't recall seeing Illinois being the only state in consideration.
    I thought, and still think, the simple advice of 'don't stop and conceal'
    is or could be very bad advice by itself, and to someone who might benefit
    from something more comprehensive.
    I very often try to post for those asking, and for anyone who may be reading
    but not participating.

So... read what I posted
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Finally, a post I can read :rollseyes:

I don't recall seeing Illinois being the only state in consideration.
    I thought, and still think, the simple advice of 'don't stop and conceal'
    is or could be very bad advice by itself, and to someone who might benefit
    from something more comprehensive.
    I very often try to post for those asking, and for anyone who may be reading
    but not participating.

So... read what I posted
    In the context of the OP's question, Illinois is the state in consideration. I don't disagree with you that being more comprehensive is better, and definitely just concealing through a hostile state without knowing the laws is a very bad idea.

(Interesting thing, Curmudgeon, is that when I saw your post, it was under my post #11, so that's why I bolded as I did [meant in fun], but when I posted and refreshed, my post #11 was under yours. If f I had realized you posted first, I wouldn't have responded quite the same way. Too much respect for you to be snarky to you, friend.)

(York County)

In the context of the OP's question, Illinois is the state in consideration. I don't disagree with you that being more comprehensive is better, and definitely just concealing through a hostile state without knowing the laws is a very bad idea.

(Interesting thing, Curmudgeon, is that when I saw your post, it was under my post #11, so that's why I bolded as I did [meant in fun], but when I posted and refreshed, my post #11 was under yours. If f I had realized you posted first, I wouldn't have responded quite the same way. Too much respect for you to be snarky to you, friend.)
    Same.
    And it's been a long day for me, so we'll just have to agree that I'm right.

275321370_7340702282608263_1635538986480472752_n.jpg
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Berks County)

^^^^This. Go the southern route around Chicago, too. Any time of day on 80 you will be slowed down significantly.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf
    Great information. Thanks.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Great information. Thanks.
    I always check handgunlaw.us before interstate travel. It is kept up-to-date.

(Bucks County)

Appreciate all the replies! I am considering the Kentucky Iowa route that widgetman recommended. I also want to stay as far away from Chicago or any big city for that matter. I'm retired and not pressed for time, just my dog and me. Never been to Montana, All my road trips were either New England area or Southeast area on my bike.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    Appreciate all the replies! I am considering the Kentucky Iowa route that widgetman recommended. I also want to stay as far away from Chicago or any big city for that matter. I'm retired and not pressed for time, just my dog and me. Never been to Montana, All my road trips were either New England area or Southeast area on my bike.
    Once you get west of PA, the secondary roads can be very enjoyable and once you're west of OH, they're damn near awesome. You get to see 'America' and if you look at them on a map, they are just as straight and flat as they look. And I'll take any local mom and pop eating establishment over the highway garbage any day. Your trip sounds great, hope everything goes well for you.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    Make a point of stopping at roadside attractions and anything else that may catch your eye. I mean that, don't drive past an opportunity to experience the trip itself, you will be glad you took the time.
    I took a trip to CA with my wife and my best friend many moons ago. It took us almost 4 weeks, we stopped at everything that was strange (and there are lots of strange things across this country), it was the most enjoyable time of my life.
    The Hostler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast