Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Cabela's / Bass Pro - "assault weapons"

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I don't think nonredeemed gift cards are forever... 2 years seems like approaching that territory, from what I've read.
    Store-specific GCs are good forever provided the stores remains in business. In this case, I don't think they're going away any time soon, but I also don't know that they would survive ditching guns completely if they did indeed to follow Dick's. Dick's was always a sporting goods store that happen to sell guns. Cabela's is a hunting/fishing store that happens to sell other things. As someone else said, businesses need to know their target market.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    ....is cash refunded on returned purchases made with those cards?
    No. At Cabela's / Bass Pro I believe you just get another GC. At some stores, like Home Depot and Lowe's, you get a crippled "merchandise credit" that can only be used in store and typically requires ID matching the person who made the initial return.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Wasn't there a court case making them forever?
    I have a subway gift card from 5 years ago. Supposedly it's still usable.
    FJB

(Chester County)

Back in 2012 New Jersey attempted to take unused gift cards after two years to confiscate the value for themselves. Government greed knows no bounds and New Jersey the west's equivalent to the "Hermit Kingdom" tops the list for communist immoral government behavior.

Pursuant to a law passed two years ago, the New Jersey Department of the Treasury will soon compel sellers to obtain the ZIP code of every buyer of a gift card in order to enable the state to expropriate the value of the unused card as *unclaimed property* after two years. The law also applies to unused travelers* checks and money orders in addition to gift cards

In 2011 the state seized $79 million of such *unclaimed property* under the law. There was huge outcry and a lawsuit quickly followed that resulted in an injunction against the collection of ZIP codes. But this injunction has just been lifted, although the case has not yet been resolved. American Express has responded by pulling its gift cards from pharmacies, supermarkets and convenience stores. Two third-party providers of gift cards to malls, convenience stores and grocery stores, Blackhawk Network and InComm, have followed Amex*s lead and announced that they will stop doing business in New Jersey in June. The reason is that it is impossible to ensure compliance with the ZIP code mandate when the cards are sold by other parties.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Back in 2012 New Jersey attempted to take unused gift cards after two years to confiscate the value for themselves. Government greed knows no bounds and New Jersey the west's equivalent to the "Hermit Kingdom" tops the list for communist immoral government behavior.
    They can buy all the illegals homes with that kind of money.
    FJB

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by KPShooting View Post
    It was absolute corporate takeover too. Cabela's was ruined and pretty much forced to sell to Bass Pro. Such a fucking shame. They used to have decent sales - hell I remember the $99 10/22 doorbuster they had for black Friday one year.
    Yes that town they were based at in Nebraska got hit really hard as all the corporate staff got wiped out and so many folks lost their jobs. I think they kept the big flagship store that is there but that's it.

What a lot of folks don't know is Cabela's was really a real estate company, Menard's for instance does a similar thing. The money was in the real estate. Cabela's would find some huge open site for a store, get the local government to partner with them to develop the infrastructure and then subdivide the plot into lots around the store. The idea being the big store would bring in lots of people, hence there would be a market for restaurants, other shops, hotels, etc. They would then collect lot rent on all the subdivided plots. If the store made money, great but really the big money was in the real estate.

(Cumberland County)

Stopped at cabelas today after the reading ww2 event. As far as I*m concerned nothing to see here. Sales people all over the store trying to get you to sign up for this or that. It*s all about getting your info so they can pester you. Wouldn*t have bothered to go but the kids wanted to see the fish and stuffed critters.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234