Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Bore Alignment Rods for Suppressors

Finally got my eForm 4 back last week, and was able to take my suppressor out to the range.
    After shooting a few rounds of UMC 9mm 115gr, I noticed some bits of the copper jackets left inside the suppressor.
    I looked for baffle and endcap strikes, but didn't find any evidence (other than the copper, of course).
    I also didn't notice any inconsistency with POI while shooting.
    I've heard that jacket separation can occur without baffle strikes (depending on the ammo), and I'm thinking that could be what I'm seeing here.
    I'd like to check alignment on the four hosts I'll be using with the suppressor, but was hoping not to have to buy 4x alignment rods.

On the other hand, I also understand that I sort of signed up to flush a bunch of $$ down the drain when I bought a suppressor in the first place, so maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy the rods.

Just figured it was worth asking around: does anyone have 9mm, 5.56, 6.5, or 7.62 alignment rods that I could borrow briefly?
    I'm in King of Prussia.
    Proverbs 3:5-6 - Feedback:http://goo.gl/S0DfS

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bore Alignment Rods for Suppressors

I use plug gages. They*re sized in one thousandth increments and about 2* long. They*re employed by dropping them through the bore and listening for the *ting* sound if they tag a baffle on the way out.

You*re welcome to bring the suppressors and hosts to the shop for a drop test at no charge if you want. I*d try different ammo as that generic Remington ball is not all that great. The jackets might just be shedding pieces.

If the jackets are breaking up, the bits are still bouncing around hitting the inside of the suppressor which although way less issue than a traditional baffle strike is still unacceptable.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

People have purchased rod stock from McMaster Carr as alignment rods. I have some anyways. Just be careful to not scratch your barrel, I beveled the ends on mine.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I use plug gages. They*re sized in one thousandth increments and about 2* long. They*re employed by dropping them through the bore and listening for the *ting* sound if they tag a baffle on the way out.

You*re welcome to bring the suppressors and hosts to the shop for a drop test at no charge if you want. I*d try different ammo as that generic Remington ball is not all that great. The jackets might just be shedding pieces.

If the jackets are breaking up, the bits are still bouncing around hitting the inside of the suppressor which although way less issue than a traditional baffle strike is still unacceptable.
    Thanks for the reply! The plug gauge idea is great. I've got access to a few sets of them as well, I might give it a try. Where's your shop located? Might like to stop in in the future.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    People have purchased rod stock from McMaster Carr as alignment rods. I have some anyways. Just be careful to not scratch your barrel, I beveled the ends on mine.
    Thanks for the response! Yeah, I've bought some certified straight drill rod from them for this as well. I'm a DIYer all the way, but the stakes are so high here I figured it was worth asking.