Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Convention of The States

My neighbor was filling me in on this, I had not heard of it before and I'm not sure what to think of it. Is this a Constitutional Convention with a different name? I do recall hearing something about one of those and the dangers that come with it. Here's a link to their website.

https://conventionofstates.com/
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Convention of The States

It looks like they want an amendment for term limits, among other things.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    It looks like they want an amendment for term limits, among other things.
    My neighbor was telling me that it's balanced budget, term limits and follow The Constitution as written.

(Montgomery County)

That sounds decent but a balanced budget seems like the imposible dream. Well actually voting a limit on how long they can steal money probably a long shot. Follow the consiturion would be a breath of fresh air. Pipe dreams from well meaning people

(Lycoming County)

First you have to convince the governors and assemblies of 34 states to agree to even call for this. Seeing as most have federal ambitions (so they can have real money and power) does anyone really think this is going anywhere? Yes it's in the constitution, but the days where something like this was possible ended probably around the time of the Civil War.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    First you have to convince the governors and assemblies of 34 states to agree to even call for this. Seeing as most have federal ambitions (so they can have real money and power) does anyone really think this is going anywhere? Yes it's in the constitution, but the days where something like this was possible ended probably around the time of the Civil War.
    Don't be such a Debbie Downer. Did you look at the map of the states that have already approved it? No, it's not a shoe-in but what is? Is it even safe to move on something like this? My neighbor said that it is only for these three items, not like a complete opening of the Constitution. Is that even possible? I can tell you one thing, relying on bellyaching here about the state of things is not going to have any effect on things.

Be careful what you ask for. It is in the constitution. If one were to occur the entire Constitution is open for change, including the bill of rights and the 2nd.

Keep in mind the first Constitutional convention was a meeting of the states to tweak the Articles of Confederation. They wound up scrapping that and creating a whole new government, mostly in secret.

(Bucks County)

Ok, ONE MORE TIME, for those who refuse to pay attention:

You DO NOT EVER want to convene a Constitutional Convention (or any of THEIR pseudo- names for it) . EVERRRRR!
    Here*s why! First they will tell you it*s ONLY for a few items, and they*ll name them. *Term limits, Tax reduction, protection for babies and cuter blonde women, etc.* All innocuous items that even Jesus Christ himself would support. The problem is, once that gavel convenes the CC, all items and ideas are fair game. EVEN if they clearly stated in writing that *We are only mentioning those innocuous item mentioned above and nothing more*, every liberal shit-headed idea in the history of shit-headed ideas is fair game!!
    Ok, maybe it*s not that bad. If we send the correct delegates from each state it will all be ok, right? Sure! Guess who picks the delegates? Go on, guess! You don*t know, do you? Because you weren*t listening the first hundred times you were told. The Governor of each state, AND Province, Territory, and outlying island gets delegates too. Oh, and Washington DC will be represented. So, who do you think your Governor will pick? His brother-in-law and his nose-picking cousin? No! Our Governor will surely send some highly trained, liberal asswipe with a law degree, two of them because each state gets two representatives. Guam, who do you think they*ll send? Puerto FuckingRico, oh they*ll surely send two upstanding hard-core Conservatives, won*t they?
    But, they*ll only talk about the *stated items*, right? Nope! The first thing they*ll do is hold a vote to throw out the list, and open the floor for entertaining new ideas.
    GOODBYE guns! First item up on the new agenda: ALL. GUNS GONE! ALL AMMO GONE!
    Ok, now that they have you disarmed, they take those pesky Bill of Rights items and wipe their asses with them. Freedom to worship AT THEIR ALTAR only! Freedom of Speech, oh yeah , of course , they*ll let you cry, whine and complain all you want, behind closed doors about how they just fucked our entire country up, but don*t you dare mention it outside those walls. Privacy, Hahahahaahahahaha, you deserve none and shall have none! Fuck you, PEASANT!

PLEASE, STOP letting them mention this shit without facing a full explanation like you just got here. They will keep bringing this crap up in front of weak-minded gurlybois, and fat lesbian malcontents and sooner rather than later, they*ll have enough simple-minded morons to vote for it. Educate the people around you! You must do this, early, often, and forcefully, or they will surely get this to come true!
    And then, it will be too late!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Don't be such a Debbie Downer. Did you look at the map of the states that have already approved it? No, it's not a shoe-in but what is? Is it even safe to move on something like this? My neighbor said that it is only for these three items, not like a complete opening of the Constitution. Is that even possible? I can tell you one thing, relying on bellyaching here about the state of things is not going to have any effect on things.
    You posted this while I was typing my last response. There is nothing to limit them to just a couple of issues. Once open anything goes. It*s something that has been discussed for years. It sounds great. But think of this as a shed with a lock on it. You might want to unlock the shed to get a hammer. But once opened, it is opened for others to enter and take what they want until locked again. They can take screwdrivers, lawn equipment, move stuff around, store new stuff in it.

That is basically what a Constitutional Convention would be, an unlocking of the Constitution to do as they see fit.

It is possible that they might just stick to what they say they will but do you trust any politicians like that? It might be what is best, but it is taking a big chance.

Like I said in the last post, The first Constitutional Convention was suppose to be a meeting to tweak and fix the Articles of Confederation. They decided to scrap it and start from scratch. They came up with the Constitution. The Constitution gave much more power to a federal government. If it weren*t for the anti-federalists, there would not have likely been a bill of rights.

The federalists thought that many of the things in the Bill of Rights were obvious and not needed. But over 200 years later we would probably be Canada or Australia without the 2nd.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the responses. I was suspicious of its possibilities but wasn't sure. I'll see what I can learn myself on the whole thing. I did see a woman with a table at Oaks one time but I declined to sign her petition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast