Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Optics Planet

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Optics Planet

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    It's not shipped outside the US, it's to my home address which they could easily see on google maps as a house in PA in a semi-rural neighborhood built in the 60's. I don't understand why I'm getting the 3rd degree. I've called twice and talked to customer service. It's a different department. My last name isn't bin laden.
    Based on posts from other forums it could be an automated flag due to your IP address (using a proxy of any kind?) though some have posted that Optics Planet flagged their order for seemingly no reason at all other than the order containing a restricted item.

I probably would have requested a refund by now as it seems like every time you jump through one hoop, they throw up another.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by John_Wick View Post
    Based on posts from other forums it could be an automated flag due to your IP address (using a proxy of any kind?) though some have posted that Optics Planet flagged their order for seemingly no reason at all other than the order containing a restricted item.

I probably would have requested a refund by now as it seems like every time you jump through one hoop, they throw up another.
    ^^^ That's probably it.
    I doubt any online vendor is going to risk breaking the law regarding shipping gun parts outside the US, so they are probably overcautious.
    As for the other lack of customer service - I guess that's the trade off for good deals.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    It's not shipped outside the US, it's to my home address which they could easily see on google maps as a house in PA in a semi-rural neighborhood built in the 60's. I don't understand why I'm getting the 3rd degree. I've called twice and talked to customer service. It's a different department. My last name isn't bin laden.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    ^^^ That's probably it.
    I doubt any online vendor is going to risk breaking the law regarding shipping gun parts outside the US, so they are probably overcautious.
    As for the other lack of customer service - I guess that's the trade off for good deals.
    Many vendors do take in account the IP address of the buyer. For both, legalities and fraudulent use of credit cards.

If you're running a VPN or proxy, I'd advise to turn it off prior to trying to buy at online vendors - especially for firearms related sporting goods.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

They've always made my spidey senses tingle. I suspect they're just a drop shipper. I've heard a lot of first hand accounts of ridiculous wait times and bogus "in stock" listings. Also heard from people that have had no issues at all.

Their prices usually aren't good enough for me to go against my instincts.

Another thing that gives me pause, is the number of "sister/mirror sites" that they run. It just seems kind of scammy to me.

CampSaver.com
    Tactical-Store.com
    EyewearPlanet.com
    GunCases.com
    Night-Optics.com
    RangeFinders.com
    OpticsForYou.com
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

If I do a search for a needed but hard to find item on Google, OpticsPlanet comes up a lot. However, I know they don't have the item I'm looking for. They just state they have it so they reel you in to their waiting game. Happens WAY too often. Twice in my recent past. When I see OpticsPlanet..............I chuckle and keep looking.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Chester County)

A useless website. They list things and say In Stock and when you order and they charge your card they will email and tell you it's back ordered. Midway and Brownell's may be more expensive but They keep you informed if there is a problem and most times resolve it fairly quickly.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

They are terrible for this and have very little understanding of ITAR/EAR. Also, the Cust service people are not empowered to help in this way. There is a Risk Management team that you deal with once you trip their IP detecting software.

I recently bought a couple charging handles from them, they sent one that was clearly used and the laser etched graphic didn’t match the website pic (the tactical reason I wanted them lol).
    So, they agreed to replace… I checked order status while I was abroad at our other home in Euroland… Just logged in to see if it would be shipped and arrive for the next weekend when I was back in PA. Well, that set off a 2week ordeal of automated order stops and these ITAR warning emails. It was insane. It was for a $0.00 replacement order they were sending.

Then, they sent the wrong item AGAIN! I was done. My time is worth more than returning the charging handle AGaIn, so I just ditched them.

I left them a crap review, and they deleted it. It wasn’t offensive, just said what I just mentioned here above….

In the past I nights spent like $1,500 total ever with them, but still don’t like being treated like an idiot and a nuisance. Btw, the Armaspec Victory charging handles on their site are old versions without the cooler new graphics… (at least the FDE ones… +10000% muzzle velocity & ultra-violent in that color, as you know. lol)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Many vendors do take in account the IP address of the buyer. For both, legalities and fraudulent use of credit cards.

If you're running a VPN or proxy, I'd advise to turn it off prior to trying to buy at online vendors - especially for firearms related sporting goods.
    Or in my case, remember to turn it on when shopping from abroad… :/

(Elk County)

Optics Planet is an order-taker that spoofs as a storefront. You order an item, they order it from another vendor/outlet/source/factory direct. That's the source of delay, saying the item IS in stock at THEIR source. If not, days/weeks turn into months.

I ordered once, took about 5 wks, learned my lesson.

(Bucks County)

I love optics planet. They get shit on all the time all over the web for bad stock/inventory, slow shipping, etc but I've had nothing but great experience and great prices from them. The trick is, CALL your order in. You'll always get a better discount and realtime human confirmation of product availability, and their CS reps are quite pleasant.

I've gotten hard to find parts at unbeatable prices several times, and always consider them when I'm looking for something new.
    To disarm the people...[i]s the most effectual way to enslave them."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast