Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: .40 suppressor

(Blair County)

Default .40 suppressor

I want to suppress my .40 S/W MP. After doing alot of reading i am having a hard time finding any good information on .40 caliber suppressors.

Can anyone give me any recommendations of a good quality suppressor? Or any helpful information that might get me started? I read somewhere (gemtech?) about a recoil booster may be necessary on some firearms. Its pretty self explanatory what a recoil booster helps with, but how do i know if my firearms needs one or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

Default Re: .40 suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by PAallterrain View Post
    I want to suppress my .40 S/W MP. After doing alot of reading i am having a hard time finding any good information on .40 caliber suppressors.

Can anyone give me any recommendations of a good quality suppressor? Or any helpful information that might get me started? I read somewhere (gemtech?) about a recoil booster may be necessary on some firearms. Its pretty self explanatory what a recoil booster helps with, but how do i know if my firearms needs one or not?

Anytime you have a pistol with a barrel that unlocks and tilts when the slide goes back, then you probably need one. The M&P would need one... along with Glocks, SIGs, HKs, etc. Chances are, if it's not a Beretta 92/96 (or Taurus clone) or a fixed barrel, it'll need one.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAallterrain View Post

As far as suppressing a 40 cal, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice but if that's your cup of tea by all means, I'm not one to question suppressing anything!

As far as the Nielson Device (Booster) goes, your M&P is a browning action design so it would need a nielson device to function properly.
    More info on them here on THR
    http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=318745

I've only ever heard 1 40cal suppressor, it was an AAC EVO40. Sounded good though there was a sonic crack.
    I've read that SWR (one of my fav's) is coming out with a 40cal suppressor soon but nothing is showing on their website but it's called the GS-40.
    More info here:
    http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28632
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    As far as suppressing a 40 cal, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice but if that's your cup of tea by all means, I'm not one to question suppressing anything!
    Ok, i am going to show how knowledgeable i am about this subject. What is wrong with a suppressed .40? I have never shot a suppressed weapon before, but i want to try a few new things before i can't.

I do have a p22, but i enjoy shooting the larger calibers more. What would your suggestion be for my first suppressor, even if i have to purchase a new firearm.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

Bigger hole = harder to suppress

If you don't want a .22, a 9mm will work better than a .40 which will work better than a .45.

(Centre County)

My first suppressor was a SWR Trident 9. That is a hell of a good suppressor in my book and I would NEVER trade it for anything else.
    9mm seems to be the easiest to suppress short of 22lr. You can use 147gr or higher bullets and be subsonic so it is respectfully quiet. As Tacreload said, the larger the hole the harder to suppress, The higher the velocity the harder to suppress as well.

I really enjoy hearing suppressed 9mm and it seems to have just about the largest variety of hosts. Glocks, sigs, HKs, brownings, 1911's, S&Ws, Walther, just about anything in 9mm can be suppressed or has been suppressed by someone, it just a matter of finding the info and applying it to your likes/tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]