Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Anyone reloading 44-40?

A friend of mine is having a lot of problem finding factory 44-40 ammo. (I saw it for more than $100/box at the last Oaks show.)

He doesn't reload but I do so I wanted to see about loading some ammo for him.

Mark has a Cimarron Model P single action.

I'd be using a fairly light load of Bullseye or Unique (or maybe even Trail Boss) and he'd just be shooting it for Cowboy Action.

What diameter bullet is best? I see in my reloading guide the bore is about .427 and the weights are around 200 grains. The lead .44 special bullets I use are .430 and 240 grains. They're fairly easy to find but I don't want to load some and find they don't chamber.

If anyone has any experience, I'd be glad to hear it.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Anyone reloading 44-40?

Hodgdon has data on .44-40 they show a bullet Diameter of 0.430" for a 200 gr bullet. Bear in mind the loads must also meet set minimum and maximum velocities.

Here's a good article that might help. https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...the-44-40-win/

I'm sure there are many other data sources including Lyman, Speer, Hornady and ohers.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Delaware County)

Thanks Brick,
    It's much appreciated!

(Allegheny County)

44-40 brass has very thin necks. Be careful with expanding and bullet crimping.
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    44-40 brass has very thin necks. Be careful with expanding and bullet crimping.
    Yep. I found it a pain and expensive to load so I went the 45 colt route for my cowboy guns. My SDB would pancake the brass when I was going fast.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hightp62 View Post
    A friend of mine is having a lot of problem finding factory 44-40 ammo. (I saw it for more than $100/box at the last Oaks show.)

I'd be using a fairly light load of Bullseye or Unique (or maybe even Trail Boss) and he'd just be shooting it for Cowboy Action.

What diameter bullet is best? I see in my reloading guide the bore is about .427 and the weights are around 200 grains. The lead .44 special bullets I use are .430 and 240 grains. They're fairly easy to find but I don't want to load some and find they don't chamber.

Before you take another step, read everything at this "must see" site on the 44-40:

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...ion?authuser=0

Check out the Index and read every section, preferably in order. This is an incomparable resource on the 44-40, its foibles and quirks, and countless tips and tricks for reloading with minimal trouble.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Howdy All!!! I am a bit of a 44-40aholic myself!!

Just to be a bit clear, if I may, the "bore" differs from firearm to firearm, however...the diameter of the bullets vary as well. Not to bore you will details, original Winchester barrel bores ranged from .424 to .430 while Winchester diameter bullets were .427 lead and .4255 for jacketed. The lead bullets were pure lead, not the hard lead many use today. With hard lead, it is best to slug the bore and use no more than .001 over the bore to keep chamber pressures down when using full charges.

Modern arms typically use 44 special or 44 magnum bored barrels, then the twist rate added as needed....they are different. This means that most replica arms use .429 bored, while I hear Japchesters are .427...but can not confirm the later.

Meanwhile, most modern die sets are cut for .429 bullets and can cause issues because the expansion dies are cut for .427 bullets. If using .428-430 bullets, you may want to use a 44 magnum expansion plug. Crimping is the same issue, over crimping 430 bullets and under crimping .4255 bullets create issues. RCBS "Cowboy" dies are "the middle of the road" dies for .428-.430 while Lee dies may best work with .427-428 bullets.

Confused yet?

For revolvers, Bullseye, as well as Unique have been around since 1898-1900 respectively and work very well for revolver use.

Hope that helps a little!!

(Delaware County)

Thanks Bryan, I've been reloading for decades but never had a reason to do 44-40. I've been reading up and realize the bore diameters are different but, as you said, the modern barrels seem to be cut for .429s. I'll look around to see if I can find some in the 200gn size. My 44 special slugs are .430 and weigh about 225gn.

(Elk County)

Thanks Bryan, I've been reloading for decades but never had a reason to do 44-40. I've been reading up and realize the bore diameters are different but, as you said, the modern barrels seem to be cut for .429s. I'll look around to see if I can find some in the 200gn size. My 44 special slugs are .430 and weigh about 225gn.
    From the site I posted in #6 above:

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...ues?authuser=0

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...ets?authuser=0

https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...die?authuser=0

Don't buy any bullets before reading the above.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    It is important for the loader/shooter to come up with a bit of a plan before ordering components and tooling to prevent headaches later.

My advice, based on the information I posted on the website.....

1. Modern arms - Get the bore size..i.e...slug the bore...if you can not slug the bore, use no larger than .428 lead or .4255 jacketed bullets. Accuracy may be an issue if the bore/diameter differences are too far apart but is much safer than trying to cram a 430 down a small bore with full loads.

2.Decide what bullets to use first based on the bore size and availability, then get the dies to match. Make sure you can pair the both before you order separate. Trying to put a square peg in a round hole will not end well. This is where guys get crushed cases and all kinds of headaches, also covered on the website. If you get .428 or 429 lead bullets, at least get RCBS Cowboy dies.

3. Much more in depth details on the website Noah posted the links to.

DONT FORGET TO LUBE THOSE CASES or you will scratch the dies and in turn scratch the cases. Lubing is very easy, but many over work the issue. Here is a link to my preferred loading methods.
    Chasing The 44-40, My Preferred Method. This is for long distance rifle use out to 300 yards. I use the same method for revolver use, but I use a charge of Unique powder. Bullseye works very well too.