Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Gun Owners vs. Gun Nuts

Opinion piece in the WSJ.

I usually agree with most of his articles, but not in this case.

OPINIONBUSINESS WORLD
    Gun Owners vs. Gun Nuts
    To get leverage over mass-shooters, start with stigmatizing infantile attitudes toward firearms.

By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.
    May 12, 2023 5:41 pm ET

Interspersed among mass shootings in Texas and elsewhere, descriptions have emerged from prosecutors of the alleged Massachusetts National Guard intelligence leaker, Jack Teixeira. He is reported to have participated in a pestilential online gun culture, replete with tasteless japing about mass shootings.

When Democrats have drummed up the votes to disarm Americans or significantly impede their ability to buy guns, text me. But we live in a society where speech is also free, including freedom to organize campaigns against a pernicious strain in the mass-shooter phenomenon. I’m referring of the fetishization of guns that has left so much of the gun culture—once personified in Charlton Heston—in its dust. Representative in reality but increasingly less so in public perception are the majority of capable, responsible gun owners who keep guns for legitimate reasons, use them in disciplined fashion, handle them safely with respect for the people around them.

Law-abiding gun enthusiasts, dealers and law enforcement would support a well-targeted campaign that could stigmatize gun ownership as a form of compensation for personal inadequacy or totem of deranged identity politics. Reframe an exhibitionist identification with guns unmistakably as an admission of personal weakness, overcompensation, the need for therapy. Let Adam Lanza, the adolescent schlub behind the Newtown elementary-school massacre, be the poster boy.

Complete article at https://www.wsj.com/articles/gun-own...hare_permalink

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Gun Owners vs. Gun Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    Opinion piece in the WSJ.

I usually agree with most of his articles, but not in this case.

OPINIONBUSINESS WORLD
    Gun Owners vs. Gun Nuts
    To get leverage over mass-shooters, start with stigmatizing infantile attitudes toward firearms.

By Holman W. Jenkins, Jr.
    May 12, 2023 5:41 pm ET

Interspersed among mass shootings in Texas and elsewhere, descriptions have emerged from prosecutors of the alleged Massachusetts National Guard intelligence leaker, Jack Teixeira. He is reported to have participated in a pestilential online gun culture, replete with tasteless japing about mass shootings.

When Democrats have drummed up the votes to disarm Americans or significantly impede their ability to buy guns, text me. But we live in a society where speech is also free, including freedom to organize campaigns against a pernicious strain in the mass-shooter phenomenon. I*m referring of the fetishization of guns that has left so much of the gun culture*once personified in Charlton Heston*in its dust. Representative in reality but increasingly less so in public perception are the majority of capable, responsible gun owners who keep guns for legitimate reasons, use them in disciplined fashion, handle them safely with respect for the people around them.

Law-abiding gun enthusiasts, dealers and law enforcement would support a well-targeted campaign that could stigmatize gun ownership as a form of compensation for personal inadequacy or totem of deranged identity politics. Reframe an exhibitionist identification with guns unmistakably as an admission of personal weakness, overcompensation, the need for therapy. Let Adam Lanza, the adolescent schlub behind the Newtown elementary-school massacre, be the poster boy.

Complete article at https://www.wsj.com/articles/gun-own...hare_permalink
    Not familiar with author but he finds it annoyingly necessary to breakout his thesaurus and insert too many fifty cent words that make the writing clunky and awkward. Don't need you to show me how smart you are, just write for the reader.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Cumberland County)

Bwaaa hahaha! Could care less of his thoughts. Take the large vocabulary and go try to impress someone else.

hes got a small Weiner and a smaller arsenal
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Bucks County)

He can ingurgitate my intromittent organ.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

This gentleman is a bit into extra syllables in his words but if you rewrote what he tried to pen, he makes a point.
    There are gun owners who are very responsible citizens who shoot target or comps, own for self-defense, hunt, collect or all the aforementioned. They back the 2nd Amendment and voice their opinions or opposition to gun grabbers and laws effecting gun ownership and carry.
    And there are gun nuts who, young or older, have guns solely because "they are cool, man" and "I could drop a lot of bad a#$es with this gun of mine" mentality. They fantasize of firefights, of being heroes or of retaliation against those who have "done them wrong". They have NOT been in trouble with the law and have had NO mental episodes, to date, that could impact their ability to purchase weapons. They spend more time online or gaming than in the real world and read off the wall ideology and chat about violence and war with other like-minded. For some, it's a fad and they move into a new immersion. For many, they mature and pretty much own firearms for the reasons most responsible gun owners do.
    But for a few, well I read the news. I just wish what NUTS found "awesome" about firearms was the awesome responsibility that should go with their ownership.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Chester County)

Is a tranny gunowner a gunowner with no nuts?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Berks County)

the issue with this is who gets decide at what point your an owner or a nut. does owning an evil black rifle make you a nut, what about owning more then 5 guns make you a nut? this is still the left pushing their beliefs to get their way on guns and i dont care what some writer for the WSJ thinks.

the issue with this is who gets decide at what point your an owner or a nut. does owning an evil black rifle make you a nut, what about owning more then 5 guns make you a nut? this is still the left pushing their beliefs to get their way on guns and i dont care what some writer for the WSJ thinks.
    That isn't the real issue. The issue is.................how do you stop this mental illness crisis? You have to be mentally unfit to kill innocent human beings. You have to be mentally ill if you are thinking of killing people. A black gun or 12 doesn't make a "gun Nut". And you're correct in who gets to say who is or isn't. There are sports nuts, gym nuts, hiking nuts, yard sale nuts, etc etc etc!!!
    It's NOT the label. It's not the gun or quantity owned. Any person who uses a gun to kill another human being or more in a rage or stupor or drug influenced high is mentally ill. WHY do we have so many people who are mentally ill?? People who are incompetent to be in society and pose a threat to themselves and others. Why? The left and the right need to be asking that question. Taking away guns from law abiding Americans does nothing to fix what is happening to the last two generations of US citizens. Next time the topic comes up on gun control, bring up mental illness. If you render semi-auto handguns and rifles illegal, what impact is that going to have on why so many people are mentally unfit and angry. And ask them how that is going to impact criminals who have no regard to human life and who use firearms now to commit murders and mayhem?
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast