Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Massad Ayoob on carry with chambered round

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I'm a glass half empty person and feel that the potential negatives outweigh the positives so I routinely don't.
    I am the same way as my P365 is carried in a Blackhawk IWB holster which, when driving, is pointed straight at my femoral artery. I know that the chance of the gun going off while chambered is slim to none, but the chance still exists.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    I am the same way as my P365 is carried in a Blackhawk IWB holster which, when driving, is pointed straight at my femoral artery. I know that the chance of the gun going off while chambered is slim to none, but the chance still exists.
    I would think while driving is the most important time to have one chambered. It's hard enough to draw while seated in a car and now you also have to take time to rack the slide? I know we only have less than a 1% chance of needing to ever use our firearms, but I don't think I could take that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    I would think while driving is the most important time to have one chambered. It's hard enough to draw while seated in a car and now you also have to take time to rack the slide? I know we only have less than a 1% chance of needing to ever use our firearms, but I don't think I could take that chance.
    When driving through sketchy parts of town, I place the gun between my legs for fast access (safe since it is not chambered). Would bet I could get to it and chamber it faster than most people could get to their chambered weapon on their holster. Hand on the bottom of steering wheel to gun on seat is only a 3 inch separation. Fast access. Also, if someone is at the window I can drop my hand nonchalantly to the gun. Try doing anything nonchalantly while accessing a gun on your holster. Impossible

There are tradeoffs for everything in life. C3 means not needing a holster (until it is chambered), which allows for very fast access in many situations, the car being just one.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Montgomery County)

When driving through sketchy parts of town, I place the gun between my legs for fast access (safe since it is not chambered). Would bet I could get to it and chamber it faster than most people could get to their chambered weapon on their holster.

There are tradeoffs for everything in life. C3 means not needing a holster (until it is chambered) which allows for very fast access in many situations, the car being just one.
    Smart idea.

I use a shoulder holster with a round chambered. It is more comfortable while driving and access is immediate. A light vest keeps it concealed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
    It's not that hard.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    It's not that hard.
    It is in my car. There's not a lot of room and the seatbelt is in the way. Plus I carry at the 3:30-4 o'clock position so the grip is almost behind me. I should probably come up with a better option.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    It's not that hard.
    Agreed, but still should train until one is comfortable doing so.
    I did a lot of weakhand & compresses car training last month. Learned some new approaches & things to practice on my own.

Interestingly, no one was starting with an empty chamber (unless designed-into the training as a malfunction!)…

(Bucks County)

When driving through sketchy parts of town, I place the gun between my legs for fast access (safe since it is not chambered). Would bet I could get to it and chamber it faster than most people could get to their chambered weapon on their holster. Hand on the bottom of steering wheel to gun on seat is only a 3 inch separation. Fast access. Also, if someone is at the window I can drop my hand nonchalantly to the gun. Try doing anything nonchalantly while accessing a gun on your holster. Impossible
    There are tradeoffs for everything in life. C3 means not needing a holster (until it is chambered), which allows for very fast access in many situations, the car being just one.
    You*re far more likely to get into some type of motor vehicle accident than a gunfight. Having an unsecured firearm between your legs guarantees it*s going to flying around inside the vehicle or ejected. That would be bad.

With proper training and practice, carrying in a holster round in the chamber or not is an issue that was solved a long time ago.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Chester County)

Ive read threads many times before on this topic. I think it really boils down the the individuals comfort.
    I personally carry with a round chambered. Just practice safely drawing and you should be fine, that mean standing draw AND seated draw.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast