Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Comparison Between XD and M&P

When comparing the XD to the M&P, what do you consider to be the significant differences? And which one is best (in your opinion)?

Thanks!
    Kerry

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Comparison Between XD and M&P

i had this dilemma myself and i came to this conclusion.

i chose the M&P ( yet to buy it)

the M&P is a bit lighter (.45 for both) and feels better in my hand
    but the kicker for me was that S&W is American made where as Springfield is made in Brazil now....
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Bedford County)

Two things come to mind when picking between any handgun brands if the price/quality/reputation is pretty much the same.

1. Fit. How does the gun feel in your hand? 99% of the time you will know the second you pick it up if it feels good, or if it feels like a 2X4 with a slide on it.

2. How do you shoot it? - It is well worth the time and money if you can test drive each of the guns before you buy. If you know anyone that will let you try theirs or anywhere you can rent one.

When it comes to plastic today, we have the "Big Three"... Glock, Springfield XD and the S&W M&P. All are about the same price, all are known for quality, durability and reliability, and all three have huge followings regardless of the number of years they have been on the market.

It comes down to how they fit and how they shoot FOR YOU.

For me it's - 1. M&P 2. Glock 3. XD

I'm damn sure the order is swapped for almost everyone else that shoots or posts here.

Bottom line: I would feel very safe with any of the three if I had to use one....but I'd rather own the one that works best for me.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    Two things come to mind when picking between any handgun brands if the price/quality/reputation is pretty much the same.

1. Fit. How does the gun feel in your hand? 99% of the time you will know the second you pick it up if it feels good, or if it feels like a 2X4 with a slide on it.

2. How do you shoot it? - It is well worth the time and money if you can test drive each of the guns before you buy. If you know anyone that will let you try theirs or anywhere you can rent one.

When it comes to plastic today, we have the "Big Three"... Glock, Springfield XD and the S&W M&P. All are about the same price, all are known for quality, durability and reliability, and all three have huge followings regardless of the number of years they have been on the market.

It comes down to how they fit and how they shoot FOR YOU.

For me it's - 1. M&P 2. Glock 3. XD

I'm damn sure the order is swapped for almost everyone else that shoots or posts here.

Bottom line: I would feel very safe with any of the three if I had to use one....but I'd rather own the one that works best for me.

I agree 110%.

Personally, I like the M&P. I have several and just sold an XD to buy another. I like the XD, don't get me wrong. I just love the M&P. I don't think either has a great factory trigger, however both are easy to remedy. I think the M&P is easier to work on, but then again, I never tried much on the XD. My one big complaint with the XD was the mag. release. I thought it was too short. I had installed an extended one which made it better, but at that point I already decided the M&P was for me. I also think the XD has a big grip. I didn't mind as I am a big guy, but I thought it would be food for thought.

I think it is hard to stand in a gun shop and try to decide what gun feels good, so good luck. However, I would hold them both and think about it for a day or so. Then whichever one you continue to think about is the one I would buy.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your decision. Oh, and S&W is having a promo. until 12/30 in case you didn't know. Check out the website.

www.smith-wesson.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

(Lackawanna County)

As far as the XD being made in Brazil, I was under the impression that it was still made in Croatia (where it's supposed to have been designed prior to rights purchase by Springfield). I have an M&P in 45, my buddy has one in 9, we're both very pleased with them. They have an excellent natural feel, come with 3 exchangable backstraps for a great fit. My friend's got giant freaking bear claws and it fits his hands, I've never had a "plastic" gun feel right in my hands before the M&P. The XD has the advantage of a couple extra rounds (I think 3 in 45, the M&P holds 10+1) but feels highly artificial and not the extension of the arm like my Smith. I never liked how low of quality the XD seems to be made. It might be 50 to 100 bucks more for the Smith depending on your dealer, but IMHO it is DEFINITELY worth it.
    P.S. The Smith is ambidextrous.

(Lancaster County)

I do love my M&P40 but I give the edge to the XD. They both shoot about the same as far as acuracy but to me the Springfield seems just a little better made. My Smith has major magazine rattle and I am not a big fan of the dovetail. It is huge. It also had a few plastic "burrs" from the factory which I had to sand off. This is of course being picky which I had to be to decide which of the two I like better. They are both excellent guns for their category.

(Philadelphia County)

They both feel different in the hand, but are both comfortable for me.
    IMO, the XD feels a little top heavy, as opposed to the more balanced feel of the M&P.

I own an XD 45, but I have shot the 9 and the 40.
    I also own an M&P 9, I shoot it in my IDPA matches, and I love it.

If I had to choose between the XD 9 & M&P 9, from experience with both, I would choose the M&P.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Allegheny County)

I have fired both the XD and M&P. I own Glocks and was interested in seeing what all the buzz was about.

M&P 9, lighter than the 9mm XD service (4"), holds one more round, comparable in size (slightly bigger than a Glock19, smaller than a 17). Magazine did not seat right in the magwell, though it was a model with the mag detach safety, so that could be why. Mag seemed loose in the magwell. The ambi mag release felt weird, poking my hand through the other side when I pressed it, also had a very "plastic-ish" feel, like the Glock mag release. I felt more recoil with the M&P.

Big positives were that it seemed tack-driver accurate, and the much shorter trigger reset seemed to make it easy to shoot well, quickly.

The XD has a an overall better feel to the trigger, imho, though neither are great, but it has a long trigger reset compared with a Glock or M&P. The big positive for me was the "sturdy" feel, and the fact that I could easily get a grip on the .45 acp with a 13 rd mag, while a Glock 21 has always felt awkward to me. The S&W in .45acp only holds ten, in all models I'm aware of, not just CA compliant. Given the size, I'd rather have a G30 if it only holds ten.

Very tough call. I liked the M&P 9 better, but the XD 45 better. Neither seemed bad.

Very much a subjective preference thing.

(Dauphin County)

hmmmmmm........comparison there is not.....the force carries M&P

Ahhh my son I have taught you well.....dont forget your MASTER!

Sincerely,
    M&P NINJA

you dont see me

Hey if yoda is packing a M&P what other questions could you possibly have?

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post

Everything Buckmark has written is good advice. I have a Springfield XD 45, which I preferred over the M&P. BUT, when it came time for a compact, I went with the M&P, which had a better fit and feel in my hand than the compact XD. So, I have one of each.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast