Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss K31 Rifle

(Berks County)

Default Swiss K31 Rifle

Does anyone have any useful information on the Swiss made K31 straight- pull back bolt action rifle. Curious as to how much they are worth these days and where I could buy the 7.5x55mm ammunition it shoots

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Swiss K31 Rifle

(Northumberland County)

They weren't cheap vs. other milsurp guns years ago, and they've only gone up. Usually see nice ones go for $700-1000 now, which is about 2x what it was 10 to 15 years ago. Sometimes have a soldier information tag under the the buttplate.

They have this rumor about them where they have amazing accuracy, and I never found that to be true. I had one for a few years with good metal but less than perfect wood. It was cool, it was novel with the straight pull bolt....but it was never drastically more accurate than my other milsurps.

For ammo, you're probably talking Prvi more than anything now. The GP11 ammo was hard to come by when I had mine. I still see it on occasion but it's rare (and expensive).

(Bucks County)

Mine is a tack driver. 1941 with a walnut non-beaver chewed stock. Got it for $125 and stocked up on cases of GP11 that were $140. Also have a mint bayonet and an unissued pioneer sawback that I got from a dude in Germany on eBay.

Prices now are ridiculous as with most milsurp rifles.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Contact Mark at https://oldguns.net Very helpful and very knowledgeable. E mail address is on the web page.

(Tioga County)

Yes buy one. They are excellent rifles built to last for decades in service with Swiss reservists and also built to shoot. Mine has a receiver built by SIG and a barrel by Hammerli. Hammerli to this day does barrels for Olympians.

One thing I learned is never remove the stock from the receiver if it shoots well. Swiss armorers tuned these like a violin in terms of receiver and barrel contact with the front band and if you separate the two, you lose that. Mine was a tack driver until I did that and it's still ok but I've never got it dialed in like it was.

Commercial ammo is out there but pricey. Reloading for it is possible with 308 bullets but the rifle likes sharp pointy bullets like a Berger VLD. Surplus ammo is excellent but can only be found on the secondary market like gun shows. In 1994 the Swiss had 700 million rounds of it in stock but have since shot it all up and RUAG put it back in production a few years ago.

They are great rifles and you can't go wrong by owning them.

I bought mine for $300 in 2015 but the same rifle would be $900 today.

(Luzerne County)

Tack driver indeed! Excellent rifle, ammo is expensive but I reload my own. I think I bought my K31 from Aim Surplus when I had my C&R for something thing $80???? I might be off with the price a little as I need to check my records, but price was no where near what the rifles go for today.

I bought two for 199.00 each shipped to my house. Traded one and a yugo sks for a rc helicopter to a forum member.
    Those rifles are worth over a grand today. The helicopter is worth 15.00 What an asshole.
    FJB

(Tioga County)

The ones that were cheap years ago came in bulk from the Swiss government and their stocks. These days importers are bringing the ones that were privately owned in. They can be bought in Switzerland for $150 last I looked and are usually turn ins to gun shops from heirs to folks that passed on and still had their old reservist rifle they kept.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Tack driver indeed! Excellent rifle, ammo is expensive but I reload my own. I think I bought my K31 from Aim Surplus when I had my C&R for something thing $80???? I might be off with the price a little as I need to check my records, but price was no where near what the rifles go for today.
    Late 90's to early 2000's they were still under $100.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast