Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone Have Experience Building ARs From These Guys ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    Well, my Durkin stuff is sitting right here, hope to make some progress over the weekend with the assembly. So far everything seems good, I'll try to post finished pics and a range report before too long.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Sounds good, let us know. A guy at my gun club said that he built two out of their kits and he claims that they are good shooting and accurate.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Westmoreland County)

I built a Roaring Rabbit kit from Delta Team Tactical a few years ago. I built it on an Anderson raw aluminum lower and it came out nice! I would buy again...

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Allegheny County)

Roaring Rabbit! LOL!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

OK, making progress. Lower is complete, but here's my question:

Tightening the barrel nut to 35 ft-lbs and it doesn't index properly for the gas tube. I figured I have to get some shims, but, I have this Mystery Ring (which fits over the barrel nut) in the kit. Is this ring just to take up space between the upper and the handguard, or is this supposed to be able to lock the barrel nut in a correctly indexed position?

Pistol Build.jpg

Helped my son on a build last year, but this is really my first time solo. Thanks for any guidance.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Allegheny County)

Hard to tell without a better image of the handguard, but it MAY be where the handguard screws mate up to keep it in place.
    I haven't seen that style. There are lots of types out there.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    . . . it MAY be where the handguard screws mate up to keep it in place.
    Thought that for a sec, but the handguard screws onto the external barrel ring threads. The mystery ring does not fit inside the handguard, it would definitely take up the gap between the upper and the handguard. I guess what I'm hoping to hear is that the ring would sufficiently lock the barrel nut in place a half 'tooth' prior to 35 ft/lbs.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    OK, making progress. Lower is complete, but here's my question:

Tightening the barrel nut to 35 ft-lbs and it doesn't index properly for the gas tube. I figured I have to get some shims, but, I have this Mystery Ring (which fits over the barrel nut) in the kit. Is this ring just to take up space between the upper and the handguard, or is this supposed to be able to lock the barrel nut in a correctly indexed position?

Pistol Build.jpg

Helped my son on a build last year, but this is really my first time solo. Thanks for any guidance.
    Make the gas tube fit. Get it snug, it should be between holes for the gas tube. Snug it up to the next hole and that's it. Also, blue locktite. The mystery ring has a dimple on the bottom, that dimple is for your handguard bottom set screw.

(Montgomery County)

OK, build finished yesterday . Added a run-of-the-mill red dot and an A2 flash hider I had around, and here she is.

20230707_172540.jpg

As far as the 'mystery ring' question I had, I left it off. When screwed snug to the upper, it pulled the upper so the pivot pin would not go in. When backed off a bit, the upper pivoted only partially open. It was not for the handguard set screw, as it fit on the same barrel nut threads as the handguard (i.e., not inside the handguard).

ring.jpg

Ran a mag through this afternoon and no surprises. Only issue was the ejector retaining pin was a little loose and seems to have walked out a bit. Got a comment into Durkin about this and I'll see what they say. Either way I'm substituting a decent pin soon.

(Allegheny County)

Cool. Glad it all worked out.
    I found the Magpul MOE K2 grip to be an improvement on pistols due to the reduced angle.
    I wondered if what they said about it being better for a "short" gun was a bunch of BS, but once I put it on one and tried it, I really did like that grip on my pistols.

(Washington County)

Agree, the K2 grip is good on short guns, it drops your wrist angle so you can keep your elbow tucked to your side and not sticking out like a chicken wing.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast