Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anyone know anything about these .22 guns

My neighbors father passed away and he left him 2 guns. They are both .22 and while in rough looking shape, operational. The rifle is missing it’s inner magazine tube but works as a single shot. He would like to know a little more about them. He is 2nd Amendment friendly and has his ltcf. These are the first guns he has owned though.

Does anyone know anything about the pistol or rifle.

Thanks in Advance.

Default Re: Anyone know anything about these .22 guns

As much as I hate wikipedia this is what I found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reming...Junior_Special

Remington .22 Junior Special Long and Short is a Bolt-action rifle launched in the 1930s by Remington Arms.

It is fitted with a peep sight set which is much more accurate than regular iron sights. The rifle is lightweight and sturdy. It comes with a 5-round detachable loading magazine that inserts from underneath the firing chamber. The only problem with this rifle is that the magazine was built cheaply and sometimes splits in half, however this does not affect the rifle in any way except in the speed in which you reload.

The rifle uses three types of ammunition: .22 long, .22 short, and .22 long rifle. Produced: 1930s-1969

(Clearfield County)

The revolver is a pot metal .22 short that I've seen called Imps but I'm sure were sold under various names. Its missing the ejector rod which just screws into the cylinder pin. I have never been able to figure out how to actually remove the cylinder.

Do a saved search on ebay and you'll probably eventually find a mag tube for the Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    The revolver is a pot metal .22 short that I've seen called Imps but I'm sure were sold under various names. Its missing the ejector rod which just screws into the cylinder pin. I have never been able to figure out how to actually remove the cylinder.

Do a saved search on ebay and you'll probably eventually find a mag tube for the Remington.
    Says I must spread the rep. Thank you for the info

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    As much as I hate wikipedia this is what I found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reming...Junior_Special
    Thank you
    Last edited by Ilikebuckets; April 21st, 2023 at 03:42 PM.

Best value for these firearms which appear to be RG series is to save them till there is a gun buy back program !

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Best value for these firearms which appear to be RG series is to save them till there is a gun buy back program !
    Was gonna say RG as well. Not worth much, about as cheap as it gets honestly.

Sentimental value will > actual value on both of those.

(Wayne County)

The rifle is a fun plinker...BUT be sure to clean and inspect the bore. The outside is rough, so I'm guessing the inside is rougher. If it is...wall hanger. If decent, a fun plinker. I have one and enjoy shooting shorts in it.

The Imp...never had one, and again, inspect. I'd be wary of firing it tho, even in primo condition.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

ditto on the remington recommendation. If in safe firing condition, Nunnuts Arms might be able to help with the tubular mag.

Also, I wouldn't fire the Imp. Gun buy-back would be great option. I did that in PA about 25 years and was interviewed leaving the courthouse. Told the reporter I was promptly headed to the LGS to purchase how ever many bricks of .22 LR I could purchase for $50.

Be well.

I wouldnt fire anything but blanks from the pistol, those cheap old 22s are known to lose timing making them unsafe with live ammo

(Franklin County)

Don't know much about the rifle, but that's a RG revolver. Well known as the cheapest, and poorest quality revolver ever sold in the US. If you decide to fire it, definitely have a few drinks. It's a "hold my beer" gun. Seriously though, don't shoot it. Also, it's not a .22 LR, it's chambered for .22 short.

Fun fact, the Reagan assassination attempt was carried out with one of these crappy RG revolvers. Amazingly he actually hit 3 people and nearly killed Reagan.