Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Picked up a new Glock 43X MOS today!

I’m excited about my new EDC. I Put the Shield arms mag release in it and got a couple Shield arms 15 round flush mags. Picked up a couple Blackhawk holsters, one IWB and the other OWB.
    What after market upgrades would you recommend? I plan to change the sights ASAP, and the trigger before too long. What would ya recommend I get to upgrade this firearm?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Picked up a new Glock 43X MOS today!

I carry a Glock 43 in my pocket in the summer. It came with factory nightsights and I only use Glock OEM magazines.

I have no problem with the trigger. It is much lighter than the NY Triggers required in my duty gun. Why do you want to change the trigger?

(Chester County)

I would suggest you go put a couple of hundred rounds through the pistol before you make it your every day carry after doing the extensive modifications. Also another thing to consider is doing all those modifications could be construed by a prosecutor at a trial for a self defense shooting that with all those modifications you were actually gunning for trouble. This has been discussed many times on this forum with a lawyer chiming in about the issue. Something to think about.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I would suggest you go put a couple of hundred rounds through the pistol before you make it your every day carry after doing the extensive modifications. Also another thing to consider is doing all those modifications could be construed by a prosecutor at a trial for a self defense shooting that with all those modifications you were actually gunning for trouble. This has been discussed many times on this forum with a lawyer chiming in about the issue. Something to think about.
    Except to function test the firearm to make sure it fires and to retrieve a slug for comparison, our forensic people do not strip the gun and look for aftermarket upgrades.

The only issue I could think of is if there was accusations of an accidental discharge being blamed on the firearm.

Except for his trigger, I don't think he has anything to worry about at this point. But for a simple point and shoot Glock, carried for self-defense, I don't understand the need to modify a gun so much.

I agree with firing some rounds through it though after any work being done, to make sure it still shoots.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for the info ladies and gents. It’s Definitely good to bounce things off well versed individuals like yourselves! The trigger is not great, but not bad bad. I’ll shoot 300-400 rounds through it to see if it gets any better, or to see if I get used to it. Ive had better and worse. The only reason I’d upgrade the trigger would be if I felt that I would be a better shot with a different trigger. There are definitely better aftermarket triggers than the OEM trigger on the Glock.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Hobbs4421; July 22nd, 2023 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Cumberland County)

Congrats on your new Glock. 43x is a good choice. I Always get excited with a new purchase, I guess the kid in us never leaves. Don*t know if you*re a previous Glock owner or not. Being a hardcore Glock owner and armorer I suggest you don*t get crazy with the aftermarket parts game. I*m all good with different sights but when you start changing internal parts you can have problems. Glock triggers are a familiar complaint. FYI they do work in over a period of time and frankly most shooters get the feel over time as well. Popping in a 3.5 connector is not an issue with me as certain glocks come from the factory with these. Polishing certain internal parts gently can improve trigger feel as well. I suggest using it as is for awhile and see how it goes. I think you will become more comfortable with it as it is. The Glock is a reliable working gun as is and trying to turn it into something it wasn*t meant to be can be problematic. Just another point of view for you to chew on. Happy shooting and enjoy.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks red dog. I did some practice with it and I’m getting used to the trigger. I don’t think I’ll mess with the internals. I do plan to upgrade the sights though as they are less than desirable.

(Susquehanna County)

The more I handle the new 43x the more I like it! Gotta get a bunch of ammo so I can really break her in! The trigger is growing on me, however I don’t love it. Need to replace the slide stop as that appears to be the worst thing on the gun. I’ll probably replace the sights as well and get some type of grip tape on it as it gets a little slick when my hand gets sweaty.

(Lancaster County)

I owned and sometimes carry a Glock 48 which, as I*m sure you know, has the same lower as your 43X. I hear you about the grip tape, on hot days it is a little difficult to keep a solid grip on. I left mine as is though since the whole concept of the pistol is to be thin. I figure by the time it feels right in my hand I would be moving into Glock 19 territory.

How are the Shield Arms mags working for you? There is a fair share of debate on the net about them. I*m sure you are aware but Palmetto State Armory now carries their own line of magazines for the 43X/48 which don*t require a mag release swap. They call the line Micro Dagger. They got relatively good reviews online but when I ordered two of them they turned my reliable 48 into the exact opposite. One of the PSA mags would give me an average of two misfeeds during every 15 round magazine, the other one would give me one misfeed on average of once every third mag.

I originally listed them in the classifieds here at a good discount with full disclosure of their unreliability in my gun, but decided to just send them back to Palmetto State Armory for full refund. My mags were all black with some sort of phosphate coating, but they do advertise that they also sell a stainless steel mag with *slick* finish. I thought about trying those, but then decided if Gaston Glock himself felt this was a 15 round gun he would*ve included 15 round mags with it.

I feel 11 rounds on your hip using factory magazines is more than ample for a concealed carrier. Again this is my opinion, and it gives you an excuse to practice the heck out of reloads.

This too is also just my opinion, and only based on my personal experience, but I strongly suggest ensuring your pistols reliability with aftermarket mags. Unfortunately this means dumping many magazines worth of your expensive carry ammo through it.

As far as the trigger goes, I feel it is again the Internet that has us all thinking we have to go out and upgrade it. A stock Glock right out of box with factory trigger outperforms most shooters capabilities anyway. Practice your shooting at defensive distances. Practice points shooting, practice shooting from the waist. Practice shooting for what the 43X is designed for, which is not distance.

I don*t claim to be an expert, I*m just a 55 year old guy staying in my lane, but I*ve been collecting and carrying guns for decades. When I buy a firearm at this point, it*s either distinctively for target shooting, collecting, home defense, or carry. In my opinion, you can make a target gun a carry gun, but not the other way around.

Congratulations on your 43X, it*s a solid platform with tons of aftermarket support. Like others have said, learn everything about it in its basic stock configuration before deciding if you need any upgrades.

I*ll finish with a question, what holster are you using?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Cumberland County)

I*m sure others will give there .02. Working gun? Nothing but factory mags and I even proof these. Range work go ahead and use aftermarket if you want to reduce wear and tear on the factory ones. It kinda sucks when your factory mag bounces off the ground while practicing changes, do that to the cheap ones. To be honest I don*t find the factory Glock mags over the top price wise. I pick one up every now and then and believe me it adds up to quite the inventory. I still have the original gen 2 mags for my 17 that I bought 30 plus years ago, they work fine even after 20,000 plus rounds. Needless to say not a carry piece anymore but still sees regular range time. Glock on.