Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Looking for a WW2 M1A1

Looking to buy one in the next few months kinda just putting feelers out to see what a good price is and what kinda of process it is. New to class 3 live in western pa. Another question if I had an original M1A1 had it welded and wanted it to be only semi-auto is that possible?

(Blair County)

Default Re: Looking for a WW2 M1A1

I think you're getting the M1 (M1A1 ) carbines confused with the M2 carbine. The M1 carbines were semi automatic only. In the case of the M1A1 that's the paratrooper model with a folding stock. They would transfer as a standard long gun.

The M2 carbines came out after WW2. A transferable (registered) M2 would be a "class 3" transfer. These would be substantially more than an M1 or M1A1
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Bucks County)

I thought he meant the m1a1 Thompson .45acp.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kmike86 View Post
    if I had an original M1A1 had it welded and wanted it to be only semi-auto is that possible?
    Not possible. Once a machinegun always a machinegun. There are stories about someone getting a lawyer to ask the feds if a machinegun has already been registered (which makes it legal) but for the most part they have an unregistered felony.

Looking to buy one in the next few months kinda just putting feelers out to see what a good price is and what kinda of process it is. New to class 3 live in western pa. Another question if I had an original M1A1 had it welded and wanted it to be only semi-auto is that possible?
    If your second question is not a hypothetical and you are describing a specific deactivated gun, I would ask is there any chance it is (or was) papered as an NFA registered DEWAT (Deactivated War Trophy)? If so, it could probably be legally reactivated into a transferable MG which would be far more valuable than a semi-auto.

If there is any chance that it might have been properly registered as a DEWAT at one time but you don't have paperwork, it is worth contacting a lawyer and having them check its status with the ATF anonymously on your behalf. DEWATs must be transferred (tax free) on a Form 5, but even if the chain of transfers was broken at some point previously (for example, due to improper transfer via inheritance or something), it might be possible to request a copy of the last form 5 that it was on and have the legal heir file the correct paperwork to restore the correct legal status so that it could be legally reactivated on a Form 1.

Of course, this only applies if it was indeed registered as a DEWAT back in the day, but it's worth discussing to try to save a genuine war artifact from an unnecessary neutering.

Best of luck.
    I am not a lawyer.

If there is ever any possibility that an old MG might have been registered at one time, consider contacting a lawyer to inquire with ATF on your behalf. They can do it anonymously. You wouldn't want to surrender or destroy contraband only to find out it was actually originally properly registered as a transferable. If it was properly registered, it might be possible to "recover" it back to transferable status by requesting the existing registration paperwork and having the rightful heir file new paperwork. This has been done many times according to Ian at Forgotten Weapons.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Washington County)

Anything NFA, aka Class 3, is pretty simple with a little help. You tell us what you want, we find it, you pay for it, you get electronic fingerprints and passport photos done, we help you file the ATF eForm 4 transfer, wait 9 to 12 months, you pick up the item. Same process if suppressor, SBR, SBS, AOW, or MG.

If you have a parts kit of a M1A1, yes, you can manufacture a semi-auto SBR out of those parts after having a ATF Form 1 approved.

Parts kits can go from $1,300 to $2,000 depending on condition. Tiger Imports has them for $1,300 right now.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I thought he meant the m1a1 Thompson .45acp.
    Well...I didn't think about that possibility. Good catch, it's almost like we should use a different description than than just the M1a1.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    I think you're getting the M1 (M1A1 ) carbines confused with the M2 carbine. The M1 carbines were semi automatic only. In the case of the M1A1 that's the paratrooper model with a folding stock. They would transfer as a standard long gun.

The M2 carbines came out after WW2. A transferable (registered) M2 would be a "class 3" transfer. These would be substantially more than an M1 or M1A1
    Substantially being the key word. As in, add some zeros to the price.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Not possible. Once a machinegun always a machinegun. There are stories about someone getting a lawyer to ask the feds if a machinegun has already been registered (which makes it legal) but for the most part they have an unregistered felony.
    I assume he is talking about taking a cut up parts kit (destroyed machinegun) and having it built into a semi-auto, most likely an SBR. That is legal.

This forum is the best place to see MGs listed for sale: https://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/discover/

Here is the MG price guide: http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html/subguns.html

You can use a dealer like WCMG or others to find it for you, or you can find it yourself. I wouldn't hesitate to work with WCMG myself.

Buying in state is one NFA transfer. Buying out of state is two NFA transfers.

You will see a price difference for a genuine WW2 bring back (C&R eligible) Thompson and one that was made post war.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; March 20th, 2024 at 03:21 PM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796