Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Constitutional Carry in Florida

Florida legislature passes law allowing concealed carry without a permit
    By Brady Knox - March 30, 2023
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/r...without-permit

Florida lawmakers passed a law allowing the concealed carry of a loaded firearm without a permit.

The bill would call for "constitutional carry," as described by pro-gun activists, stripping away the additional layer of background checks, licensing, and firearm training currently required for concealed carry. The bill is likely to become law soon, as Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) has indicated he will sign it, NBC News reported .

*A constitutional right should not require a permission slip from the government. It is time we joined 25 other states to enact constitutional carry in the state of Florida,* he said in his most recent State of the State address.

If passed, Florida will become the 26th state to allow concealed carry without a permit.

The move was condemned by gun control organizations, who argued that it was the opposite of what was currently needed.

"In an era of increased mass shootings and rising gun crime, it is outlandish that our legislature is being asked to loosen gun restrictions rather than strengthen them," Prevent Gun Violence said in a January statement after the introduction of the law. "Lawmakers must immediately reject Florida*s legislators should instead focus their efforts on enacting common-sense gun laws that prioritize public safety, including universal background checks, banning military-style assault weapons, and safe storage laws. In a time where hate speech and violence are all too common, relaxing requirements to carry a firearm is playing with the lives of Floridians."

Luis Valdes, the Florida state director of the pro-gun organization Gun Owners of America, praised the passing of the bill in a press release , declaring it a victory for liberty.

"We*ve put enough pressure on the Republican Establishment and we*ve gotten a major win across the finish line. As soon as Governor DeSantis signs this into law, starting July 1, Floridians will no longer need a government permission slip to carry a firearm," he wrote. "No longer are we beholden to the government to protect ourselves."

However, he added that there is still more work to be done, and the group will now push for "Open Carry, Campus Carry, repealing Red Flag Laws, and repealing Gun Free Zones" in what he calls the "gunshine state."

The move is the latest in a legislative blitz pushed by conservatives after Republicans achieved a supermajority in both chambers of the state legislature following the midterm elections last year.
    I'm still blaming those who ditched Corbett over the Penn State issues for the fact that PA did not get & may never have Constitutional Carry.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Constitutional Carry in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by ImminentDanger View Post
    Florida legislature passes law allowing concealed carry without a permit
    By Brady Knox - March 30, 2023
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/r...without-permit

I'm still blaming those who ditched Corbett over the Penn State issues for the fact that PA did not get & may never have Constitutional Carry.

Do they have a constitutional right to print now, or is that still verboten?
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Berks County)

Oh no. I'm sure there will be a couple 'mass shootings' in Florida in the upcoming week...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Oh no. I'm sure there will be a couple 'mass shootings' in Florida in the upcoming week...

I am pretty sure that Florida has already had their fair share of infamous mass shootings.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

Wont be needing a Florida permit to carry concealed, But what about open carry while hunting for boars ?

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Wont be needing a Florida permit to carry concealed, But what about open carry while hunting for boars ?
    I think in the woods and swamps it is okay to open carry, I cannot fathom why it wouldn't be.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Berks County)

You going on The View?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You going on The View?
    Nobody wants to eat rabid boar... Lol
    "If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target"

(Lancaster County)

I know you can only "open carry" while actively fishing. Not sure if that applies to hunting. Can't see why it wouldn't though.
    "If you're not catching flak, you're not over the target"

(Jefferson County)

You already don't need a permit in FL to open carry while hunting, fishing, in camp and going to/from such activities.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast