Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Stripping wood stock for reshape/refinishing…advice?

Have a walnut shotgun stock here i want to strip, customize for better ergonomics, and stain darker/poly or wax seal it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started? Wood refinishing is not my forté, so its a learning experience here. The sanding to shape part and staining part doesnt scare me so much as the chemically stripping old finish without damaging the wood… someone suggested citristrip or strip dip? Also read boiled linseed oil will do, but potential spontaneous combustion and i dont agree with each other

Its in decent shape overall but there are some stains in the schnabel shaped area from 70 years of use im not sure how to get out

Pic for reference:

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Stripping wood stock for reshape/refinishing…advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Have a walnut shotgun stock here i want to strip, customize for better ergonomics, and stain darker/poly or wax seal it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started? Wood refinishing is not my forté, so its a learning experience here. The sanding to shape part and staining part doesnt scare me so much as the chemically stripping old finish without damaging the wood* someone suggested citristrip or strip dip? Also read boiled linseed oil will do, but potential spontaneous combustion and i dont agree with each other

Its in decent shape overall but there are some stains in the schnabel shaped area from 70 years of use im not sure how to get out

Pic for reference:

Citrus strip works great, and it smells like oranges instead of turpentine. Plus it won't damage your nervous system like most chemical strippers.

I personally prefer hand rubbed pure tung oil, over linseed oil for finishing. It smells much better too.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

I've used Citri Strip, seems to work well-enough. My only gripe with it is it doesn't seem to get all of the old stain out of some of the tiny/deeper grains in the wood.

Im not sure how Mossberg finished these originally, stain vs oil. Its 70 years old, so i suspect its probably a light stain

Figuring on doing a dark stain like mahogany or black walnut look. As far as sealing it after, does anyone have any suggestions?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRabbit View Post
    I've used Citri Strip, seems to work well-enough. My only gripe with it is it doesn't seem to get all of the old stain out of some of the tiny/deeper grains in the wood.
    Might have to take 2-3 passes and really scrub it in but it's the best way to go. Funny it will eat gloves but will not hurt your hands.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Might have to take 2-3 passes and really scrub it in but it's the best way to go. Funny it will eat gloves but will not hurt your hands.
    Looks like thats the way to go. Met a smith yesterday in Paradise that is threading the barrel for new poly choke and thats what he was working with.

Whats best application method? Wipe on with cloth and wipe off or use a brush/roller and wipe off?

(Lehigh County)

Citrus strip (I used to use Simple Green) works well. You may have to do it three or four times...
    With either boiled linseed oil or tung oil, just a tiny bit at a time, rub it in and let dry. In between coats, lightly sand with very, very fine steel wool. How many coats? The British used to say one coat a day for a week, then one coat a week for a month, then one coat a month for a year. In my experience, 4 or 5 coats - very light coats- comes out the best. I never used gloves, and I'm older than your shotgun...never hurt me, but your mileage may vary.
    Keep any rags you use in a sealed container - a safety can if possible. Never had any problems with spontaneous combustion, although I guess it must have happened to someone somewhere.
    taking finish off or putting new on, take your time and let it dry in between.

Try a can of oven cleaner from the dolla store. It'll make you cough like tear gas, but the white foamy bubbling will leach the linseed, dirt and oils out of the wood's pores.

Do this three times. Rinse after each application, along with scrubbing with an old dish scrubby.

Allow to dry each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    Try a can of oven cleaner from the dolla store. It'll make you cough like tear gas, but the white foamy bubbling will leach the linseed, dirt and oils out of the wood's pores.

Do this three times. Rinse after each application, along with scrubbing with an old dish scrubby.

Allow to dry each time.
    I like that idea…ita cheap and easy just like me

Looks like this project is taking off this week. Got word from Sarco that they found my choke, gunsmith is waiting on it to install so i can get the barreled action over to another poofer for cerakote. Cerakote is finished on the bolt and small parts. So i guess i need to start working on the stock. New truglo fiber optic fat bead is on order

Gunsmith says citristrip gel, so thats the plan. Settled on Old Masters Spanish Oak oil based wiping stain. Not sure if i’ll wax, poly, or shellac to seal once stained. Will be doing a spray on stain. Found a cool little tool at the hardware store that is basically a co2 charged can with a glass jar and pickup tube on the bottom

https://myoldmasters.com/color/spanish-oak

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast