Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default TSA rules change, fly w firearms

Getting ready to take a trip to Florida. Decided to watch some hot chick that does gun videos. YouTube: She Equips Herself. Pretty, and informative.
    Rolled across one of her videos, got distracted and found another, a guy that says rules changed. Looked at TSA page for verification.
    Here’s a cut/paste of the section in question.
    “Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case. “

So, I always put my 1911 in a Pelican case, with three loaded mags, and the one loose round stuck into the foam , nose-down. Well, reading this, it appears that is a no-go now.
    So, consensus time, what do you all think this really means? I usually just placed the three loaded mags in the case, but this reading indicates the top round in the mag isn’t in compliance. Pop it out, and the next one isn’t, etc, etc……

What do you all see?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: TSA rules change, fly w firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Getting ready to take a trip to Florida. Decided to watch some hot chick that does gun videos. YouTube: She Equips Herself. Pretty, and informative.
    Rolled across one of her videos, got distracted and found another, a guy that says rules changed. Looked at TSA page for verification.
    Here*s a cut/paste of the section in question.
    *Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case. *

So, I always put my 1911 in a Pelican case, with three loaded mags, and the one loose round stuck into the foam , nose-down. Well, reading this, it appears that is a no-go now.
    So, consensus time, what do you all think this really means? I usually just placed the three loaded mags in the case, but this reading indicates the top round in the mag isn*t in compliance. Pop it out, and the next one isn*t, etc, etc**

What do you all see?
    I see the same thing you see. Loaded magazines are not in compliance, nor is the single round stuck in the foam. That being said, I don't think this is a recent change, if it is even a change at all. I have always remembered the rules as being ammo in a box, not in a magazine, and that's how I have always packed my firearm and ammo for flying.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I see the same thing you see. Loaded magazines are not in compliance, nor is the single round stuck in the foam. That being said, I don't think this is a recent change, if it is even a change at all. I have always remembered the rules as being ammo in a box, not in a magazine, and that's how I have always packed my firearm and ammo for flying.
    That's what I thought. The first time I flew with a handgun was like 2014 and I recall having ammo in the factory box, but locked in the same case as the handgun.

Now, could you use PMAGs with dust covers? That would seem to be 'totally enclosed.'

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    That's what I thought. The first time I flew with a handgun was like 2014 and I recall having ammo in the factory box, but locked in the same case as the handgun.

Now, could you use PMAGs with dust covers? That would seem to be 'totally enclosed.'
    That's what I was thinking. How about handgun mag in a carrier?
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I called a couple of years ago, and was told ammo must be in original boxes. No exceptions. I put the boxes in a plastic zip lock. No problems.

(Bucks County)

Not sure. I flew to texas and back in Oct 22, and had no issues. I know the TSA guys saw the loaded mags. The one that came back out to tell me I was good to go, asked questions about the Kimber I had. If he saw it well enough to know it was a Kimber, he saw the loaded mags too.
    The video that tipped me off about it mentioned P-Mags and the cover probably being compliant. I don*t know if a mag carrier would be considered as compliant for TSA. My flight leaves too soon for me to find out, and I*m not going to risk being told *no fly*, or worse, confiscation and a bunch of charges to answer to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    My flight leaves too soon for me to find out, and I*m not going to risk being told *no fly*, or worse, confiscation and a bunch of charges to answer to.
    This.. There is a time for Constitution motherfucker but when you are in an airport with some minimum wage TSA agent fumbling thru your firearms it is probably not the best time to try and push things.

I don't see the disadvantage for not having a loaded magazine while flying is worth the chance for a hassle.

TSA training (and especially baggage counter agent training) varies drastically from place to place, so no guarantees. I believe each airline is free to set their own rules that can be more restrictive than TSA, but that policy enforcement is between you and the baggage counter agent, not the TSA.

The airline typically doesn't ask to see inside the locked gun case if it's inside a bag. They just want you to sign the declaration that the firearms are unloaded and tape it on the locked box. (Note: I'm talking about a locked gun case inside of normal luggage, not a dedicated gun case checked directly as luggage. I believe they will ask you to unlock a full size gun case because the unloaded firearms declaration isn't supposed to be visible on the outside.)

I've had good luck traveling with loaded magazines inside of mag pouches as well as ammo in plastic ammo boxes or original packaging. I never leave the +1 loose though. TSA has never had a problem with this. YMMV.

Most important tip: stay out of anti-gun hellholes, including for layovers if you can avoid it, and never claim your baggage with the firearms in a city you can't carry in if you miss your flight. Make them keep your bag checked in until you board another flight. Not all states respect FOPA and you won't beat the ride.
    I am not a lawyer.