Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: High speed internet near Loysville, **** I have used it all

While the old Satellite (HughesNet) was fraught with latency, Starlink has 50mbs to 200mbs with acceptable latency 20ms-50ms. The difference is the multitude of low flying satellite that are all networked together allowing them to lower latency 20ms-50ms.
    I am director of IT for an oil & gas well water treatment company. We have successfully used starlink in PA and Ohio, We are trying West Virginia next. My Brother in law has had it a 6 months now and gets 200mbs and 30ms latency regularly near Meadville. As far as Starlink is concerned add your Address to the wait list and They Will get you in. That is what I did I had my home address (Monroeville) in and they emailed me a few months later it was available. It is more the number of customers using it now, it will get better sooner. I actually bought it on my home address for the company.
    We use Verizon and Att Cellular modems presently, but we will be transitioning to Starlink. Cell Modems in business use are different on a consumer level as they pack more consumers on a tower slowing it down for everybody.. I printed the cell tower map for Loysville and the only tower in the area is Verizon. Loysville Verizon Tower.JPG
    The key to a good cell signal is an outside rooftop directional antenna pointed to the tower. This will give you a strong signal for fastest speed.
    If you have any questions I would be happy to help you PM me.
    Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: High speed internet near Loysville

Quote Originally Posted by Trik10 View Post
    Yes I did look into the home internets. Verizon is unavailable at the prospective address but apparently T mobile is available so I might give that a try. Does anybody have any experience with the T mobile home internet?
    I have T-Mobile internet and it's great. I'm in a fringe area and get a weak signal of around -94 dbm and still get an average of 80Mb/s down and 20 up. Check their website, enter your address and they'll let you know if you have coverage. It's normally $50 a month with no caps but I get it for $25 with my Magenta 55+ plan. $95 a month total for 2 phones and internet.
    NRA Life Member

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Trik10 View Post
    Hello

My family is looking to move into a property outside of Loysville in Perry County. I am having quite a time trying to find high speed internet. Does anybody else live in the area that has any knowledge of high speed internet access? Thank you.
    In general, if cable tv is available to the house in question - broadband from that cable company will be available.

If cable tv isn't available, then your next options are from the telephone company, cell companies, or satellite.

Most telco's cap-out around 6mb at 6KFT from the CO or remote switch, 3mb at 12KFT, and 1.5mb at 18KFT for standard DSL with Verizon(landline) and most other telephone companies. Windstream(if the area is Windstream) offers VDSL, which is basically double the same speeds at same distances with a single pair, then offers to bond (2) phone lines to quadruple the speeds at same distances.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

In addition to above:

Verizon has been "closing" offices and remote switches to new DSL circuits - which is probably in violation to the PA Utility Commission.

They've been doing that to force people over to cellular based internet(at a higher price).

They closed 3-4 of my exchanges around Johnstown/Somerset. I recommended the residents to contact their local state representative/senator and the PUC.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Susquehanna County)

Where can I call to get questions about their service answered? I've a few regarding email, modem/router, wifi and wifi calling for cell phone usage. Their website says now available in this area.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Where can I call to get questions about their service answered? I've a few regarding email, modem/router, wifi and wifi calling for cell phone usage. Their website says now available in this area.
    A quick Google search on Verizon Wireless Customer Service returns 1-800-VERIZON.
    Same number for wireline.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    It's not, most of the east coast still isn't covered yet by Starlink. You could also look into the T-Mobile and Verizon Home plans that use the cellular network. These devices offer unlimited usage and don't throttle but your address has to be eligible for it. I use one of the Verizon one's as a back up to my cable connection, it's not bad speed wise typically running 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up with latency around 40-50ms.
    T Mobile internet is highly unstable.

I sometimes have 300mbps speeds then I'll have 12 hours with no connection at all

It was GREAT for 2 years on the LTE network. As soon as they "upgraded" to 5G it became a nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    T Mobile internet is highly unstable.

I sometimes have 300mbps speeds then I'll have 12 hours with no connection at all

It was GREAT for 2 years on the LTE network. As soon as they "upgraded" to 5G it became a nightmare
    Are you able to look and see what cellular band it's connecting to? If it's a higher frequency band on 5G that would explain the issue, higher frequency doesn't reach as far but generally offers better speeds.

If weak signal is the culprit look into a Parabolic Grid antenna - https://www.amazon.com/Griddy-Parabo...08Z671T9P?th=1

Back at my old house I used a Parabolic grid on Verizon's LTE network, went from pretty much no signal to a 5 bar signal.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A quick Google search on Verizon Wireless Customer Service returns 1-800-VERIZON.
    Same number for wireline.
    Sorry I should have made myself clear. There is NO cell or cable TV service in this area. NONE! Want to get answers from Starlink. Currently on Frontier DSL (they set a low standard then fail to meet it).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Sorry I should have made myself clear. There is NO cell or cable TV service in this area. NONE! Want to get answers from Starlink. Currently on Frontier DSL (they set a low standard then fail to meet it).
    Sorry about that, but see if the info/offer in post #11 is still viable.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast