Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Sonic cleaner

(Montgomery County)

Default Sonic cleaner

I'm looking at getting a sonic cleaner for suppressor and maybe some gun parts. I'm leaning towards the Hornaday brand, but before I get one, is there a better option I should look at?
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Sonic cleaner

Going off memory here but I think Free was looking into one and had a whole thread about them the other year. Was an Amazon one he was after I think, and wasnt very expensive.

From what I read, you don't have to clean a suppressor especially if you are shooting a high power bullet.
    They say they clean themselves. I use my ar15 suppressor on my .22 rifle, and I put it in a jug of transmission fluid to clean it.
    FJB

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    From what I read, you don't have to clean a suppressor especially if you are shooting a high power bullet.
    They say they clean themselves. I use my ar15 suppressor on my .22 rifle, and I put it in a jug of transmission fluid to clean it.
    I'm no expert, but I think you're correct with regard to most centerfire suppressors. IIRC my manuals say they are fine just as is, and I don't remember who I heard this from but it makes sense "you don't clean out your car muffler do you?" LOL.

Anyway, as you also eluded to, RIMFIRE is a whole different animal. My AAC rimfire can does have removable baffles and the manual does say to clean it. It's a nasty nasty dirty can after about 50 shots. So I too have kicked around the idea of a sonic cleaner.

The reviews for using sonic cleaners on empty brass cases seemed like 50/50 good/unimpressed, so I forgot to keep looking into it.

I'll be interested to hear more from anyone that uses one for suppressors.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Montgomery County)

Thye manual for my Rugged suppressor says it runs fine dirty but does need to eventually be cleaned and suggests using a sonic cleaner. I just ordered another can for rimfire and I am understanding that they get much dirtier faster and will need cleaning more often.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Montgomery County)

My 22 supressor locked up. The nut to take it apart would not move soaked it with kroil and finaly got it to budge. I have a hornady and dump it in it heat and run. Not spotless when it comes out but relatively clean and I have no more problems with it locking up. I use the ultrasonic for parts mostly, especilly the old trapdoors and rolling blocks when I first get them does a nice job. Son has an expensive ultrasonic in the dive shop for regs and stuff. Head and shouders above mine but also way more money.

(York County)

I was on the same path to clean suppressors with ultra sonic. I gave up on the idea as said above for center fire as they clean them selves. For my several rim fire suppressors they are made from aluminum and I learned you don't want to run soft metals in the ultra sonic cleaners as they will damage the metal. If what I learned is wrong please advise as I'd love to make cleaning rimfire suppressors easier.