Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Maybe Moving To New Jersey

I think I got the deal of a life time to get out on my own - my friend has asked me if I want to move in with him into the 1st floor downstairs of his house after his sister, and her friends move out this may in Jersey City, New Jersey. Seeing I have no friends in PA, and am going nowhere I told my friend that I'd love to. Rent will be cheap as hell, utilities will be split 3 ways, and jobs with many hours will be easy to find.

I'm not sure how my parents would feel however: they're sorta fighting debt, and I do pay for some bills, but they plan on being out of it by this summer. I know my dad doesn't exactly have to much faith in me, and he'll be slightly appalled when I tell him about this. My mother will put forth all of her lifetime stereotypical emotions, and just be annoying. Breaking it to them is so far the biggest problem I'm going to have to face, and time is on the edge of running out.

The gun laws in new jersey are another whole problem. I'd have to leave all my guns in PA I guess. Does anyone know of the gun laws in NJ involving long guns: can I just take my rifles with me?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Maybe Moving To New Jersey

I may be wrong (said: possibly outdated info), but I believe you need a permit to buy a long gun too. I just recall a while back a friend of mine having a permit for just that, not pistols, to buy at a gun shop.

(Lebanon County)

Moving To New Jersey?
    Did you lose a bet?
    I work with a guy who is from New Jersey. He says it's a damn good place to be from! He's glad he's from there rather than still there.
    As far as getting your parents to go along with it, that's easy. You're about the right age to be thrown out of the house for being a pain in the ass, start giving them a hard time and they'll think it's their idea, the further you go the better, problem solved.

In all seriousness now, if you do have a legitimate chance to go somewhere else and get a fresh start on your own, it can be a real good opportunity to mature and find out who you really are and wat you want to do with your life. Don't blow the opportunity on a continuous party though. Leaving home is reason enough to celebrate, but you have to get serious pretty quickly or you'll find out too soon just how good you had it at home. Think about how life will be there. Lots of work, but is it something you'll like, or at least not mind too much? Is the employment rate pretty steady in that area, or does it fluctuate a lot? Is your friend satisfied with what he has there? Does a future for you there really look better than here?
    Whatever you do, don't take my advice about getting your parents to kick you out, I was just kidding. Keep a good relationship with them. Start the separation process by talking with them bout your future, or lack of it, here. Maybe they'll actually suggest that you go elsewhere to try something on your own. It might be easier than you think. They really do want you to do what's going to be best for you. Unfortunately, nobody has a crystal ball, so what's really going to be best is unknown.

(Montgomery County)

new jersey has AW ban.
    no mags over 15rds
    no flashhiders, threads, bayolugs, folding stocks at all, period
    no ARs or other AW type rifles unless they are a MATCH marked model with no AW features
    need a FOID to own or buy guns( or even handle in a gunshop), must ask PERMISSION from PD to buy a handgun, it's thier option to say yes/no.
    no mail order ammo in Jersey
    no chance of CCW for private citizen (unless you are extremely connected)
    Hollowpoints are a 3rd class felony out of the home, or off the range
    high income and property taxes
    floating rate sales taxes
    high vehicle insurance

but, on the other hand, they pump your gas, and it's cheaper...wow.

this is not the "chance" this is more of a sentence, and a big mistake.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Without getting into a lengthy dissertation, it doesn't sound like a good idea with more things that could go wrong than right. It's based on several assumptions, anyone of which proves false and you're out on the street. Example: splitting utilities two or three ways is a fine concept, but will probably cause consternation if one person uses a disproportionately more or lesser amount. Plenty of good paying jobs? Why is that? Jobs that pay well usually pay well for a reason. Better get some answers on this detail.

Then there's liability. We don't know why your friends sister & company are moving out, and hopefully you won't be greeted with unfinished business they've chosen to ignore on their way out.

As someone who owns guns, you of all people should know to avoid gun-hostile areas. Try to find one person happy with NJ gun laws. Just one.

Sounds like you might have some issues at home with the parents, and you just need a short break rather than a full-fledged exodus. Have you looked into something more local, and possibly staying on amicable (read: diplomatic, but not necessarily delighted to see each other) terms with the parents?

I can tell you from experience that leaving doesn't solve anything, and don't expect your parents to change. While tempting, relocating to an area that basically hates your core values won't solve your core challenge -- all it does is create another, more serious potential problem.

If your parents actually care for your well being, they won't like it. As a parent I can tell you I'd shoot it down before the speil was done coming from my kid's mouth. As a parent, my basic responsibility is taking care of my kids. Letting them shack up unsupervised in another lawless state would be stupidity to put it mildly.

(Berks County)

Willtallica, my opinion, don't do it!

It took me 10 years to find a decent job in PA and leave that hell hole behind.

Been here in PA for 6 years now and love every minute of it.

I know where you are coming from because I have been there, but NJ is definately the pits. Everyone mentioned the gun thing but here is another.

Car insurance and the overall cost of living, Jersey City is a shithole, Your profile says you are 19, how does $3,000 to $4,000 sound for car insurance on a beat up car sound?

Be patient, set some goals...and GO OUT AND GET IT, no one is going to come to you with the dream job or all the answers...you have to make things happen for yourself....make a plan.

Moving back to NJ....the thought makes me shudder.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Willtallica, my opinion, don't do it!

It took me 10 years to find a decent job in PA and leave that hell hole behind.

Been here in PA for 6 years now and love every minute of it.

I know where you are coming from because I have been there, but NJ is definately the pits. Everyone mentioned the gun thing but here is another.

Car insurance and the overall cost of living, Jersey City is a shithole, Your profile says you are 19, how does $3,000 to $4,000 sound for car insurance on a beat up car sound?

Be patient, set some goals...and GO OUT AND GET IT, no one is going to come to you with the dream job or all the answers...you have to make things happen for yourself....make a plan.

Moving back to NJ....the thought makes me shudder.
    Listen to this man. There is a reason they let you into NJ for free and charge you to get out...

(Erie County)

On the bright side though....since almost all guns are illegal in NJ I hear there is no crime. I mean it would be a pretty safe place to be

(Westmoreland County)

Here's my tidbit to throw in. First of all, I wouldn't go to Jersey, not that I've ever been there but because everyone I know from there just wants to leave. No other reasons.

I'm 23 now. When I was 17 I didn't have anywhere to live. I stayed with an elderly woman for some cheap rent and took out a ton of loans to go to school. I did the two year thing because I didn't have much other option except food service, which I did through my senior year and through my technical school. I was dirt poor but knew having that crappy certificate when I was done would get me a job somewhere and it did. I moved to Pittsburgh for a Part Time job and worked it for the last 2.5 years. With the experience under my belt there sort of in my field I went on to find a Full Time gig. I'm happy to say that I found one 6 months ago. It's been a tough road the last 5 years but I'm doing well now. It just takes a little gamble (student loans, oh my) and some patience and as long as you want to barrel and kick ass, you can. Just do your job well and build relationships and you'll be on your way to 50k

I hope I'm not over-simplifying the process, it was really hard for me but it turned out and now I can buy guns at a whim and that makes it all worth it.

Taking on a little debt for the sake of education isn't bad. If you're parents are poor, you can get some grants and loans. I was emancipated and had to go through run-around after run-around to get funding. I'm happy to say it's paying off and I'm doing well. You can be too, just take it in the balls for a few years and work hard. Building relationships is by far the best thing you can do. TRUST ME. I wouldn't be anywhere if it were for my building good relationships. Honestly, the only way I was able to move to Pittsburgh for that Part Time job I mentioned was because a guy on a gaming forum I setup loaned me the money. I never met him and probably never will. I've repaid my debt, thankfully but that's what it's about. Reflect yourself well and in the best light everywhere you go and try to kick as much ass as possible. People will see it and they'll want to pay for it. There's nothing more valuable than an employee that's happy to be employed, grateful, humble and always willing to kick more ass to things happen.

PA is your friend and there's a lot of decent folk here, try and stick it out, if not for anything else but your 2nd amendment rights. You can be poor and armed or poor and unarmed.

Take care
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Montgomery County)

Why anyone would WANT to move to Jersey is beyond me. Just the thought makes me physically ill. I wont even vacation in Jersey anymore.

Proud member of:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast