Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: How much ammo should you have....

Quote Originally Posted by Sblzrd65 View Post
    See on the currency thing, and not saying one can't share. But if it's the zombie apocalypse and I'm meeting someone in the mall parking lot to trade/barter, and I'm trading them ammo, which means likely they have tools already, what's stopping them from just jumping me and taking my stash or hitting me in the bast afterwards? IMO the ammo as a barter thing might be a bit over inflated.
    LOL, couldn't you jump them and take their stash, since you also have the tools?? When the SHTF, people are going to be looking for items that are useful, like ammo, food, water, medicines, seeds, ect. So what are you stocking up on that you can barter with?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    More, much more. I want my floors to make odd noises when I set the ammo cans down.
    If I could afford it, I too would do the same.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sblzrd65 View Post
    See on the currency thing, and not saying one can't share. But if it's the zombie apocalypse and I'm meeting someone in the mall parking lot to trade/barter, and I'm trading them ammo, which means likely they have tools already, what's stopping them from just jumping me and taking my stash or hitting me in the bast afterwards? IMO the ammo as a barter thing might be a bit over inflated.
    Maybe they don*t want to be dead either?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    As much as you can sensibly afford.
    Working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by WVBob View Post
    More, much more. I want my floors to make odd noises when I set the ammo cans down.
    I keep my ammo on a concrete slab in the basement because the dead load ratings of residential construction on the first floor isn't enough.

(Lancaster County)

Qs = Quantity you expect to shoot per range session.
    Qy = Number of range sessions per year.
    Ql = Number of years you expect to shoot.

(Qs x Qy) x Ql

(Potter County)

Reloading supplies take up less room and cost a lot less. Or at least they did before the primer problem started. Couple hundred factory loads in brass cases per caliber and load up on reload supplies based on how many rounds per year you expect to shoot times how many years you expect to need need them.

(Bucks County)

How much ammo should you have....

According to Schumer and ilk= 0
    According to MSM= no more than 10 or so
    According to preppers= enough space between to safely carry more in.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NEAHS View Post
    ... on hand in 2023?
    So what's everyone's thoughts on how many rounds you should have on hand for each caliber in this day and age?
    Depends upon availability. Hard to come by ammunition (6.5 Carcano, 25 ACP) would require more. 9mm is almost anywhere.

I don't trust round figures. I like the idea of "how much practicing do you intend to do in a period of time? Cover that.

People expecting "SHTF" need to do a risk analysis. They need to constrain what they expect to find and prepare intelligently. Money spent on 10,000 rounds might be better spent on barbed wire, mechanical ambushes, LED lamps, and other stuff. You might do better taking a martial arts class until you are good enough to teach. You and your students can work together.

The biggest take away? Practice. Practice shooting. Practice toting things around. Practice taking long walks carrying things. Do regular exercise. Practice immediate action drills to manage firebombs, tear gas rounds, and sudden hand to hand encounters. A fire extinguisher and respirator (which you have trained to use and which has good sealed filters) will take you a lot further than some ammunition.

10,000 rounds of 5.56 does not empower you to do much except to run a warehouse. Put those rounds to work.

First? Figure out what is going to seriously bug you or threaten you.

If the Government turns ugly? My first order of business is surviving in prison or a concentration camp. No guns, just lots of hard asses who need to be dealt with in a low key way.
    Last edited by GeneCC; May 26th, 2023 at 11:42 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlytrap View Post
    IF.. you needed that much, you had better make sure you have vests, tripwire, razor wire, explosive and a whole bunch more shit then ammo.
    Spoken like someone who has had to suffer bad times.

Medical supplies would be helpful, respirators for slime, and of course food.

I don't expect to fend off the Police and Army. They're too well trained and too many. Most of them don't especially want to disarm average people. They'll take orders but how thoroughly?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast