Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: How much ammo should you have....

Does anyone really think they could survive a situation where 1000 rounds is not enough ? Most wouldn't make it to the second mag before taking a few. The odds of burning through a thousand in anger and still being alive are astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Does anyone really think they could survive a situation where 1000 rounds is not enough ? Most wouldn't make it to the second mag before taking a few. The odds of burning through a thousand in anger and still being alive are astronomical.
    Position is key.
    FJB

(Northumberland County)

Well the prepper guy my mom watches says 10k per caliber. But honestly that's a pipe dream IMO. Unless you're independently wealthy or have been stocking up for years, that's unrealistic.

My $.02 is a minimum reserve of 1k per semi calibers like 9mm, 223, 7.62x39, etc. And 200+ for anything less rapid-fire. Plus whatever you intend to practice with.

Quote Originally Posted by NEAHS View Post

I was thinking at least 10,000 rds for the semi-auto rifle and pistol calibers, 5000 rds for bolt action, lever action, and shot guns.
    IF.. you needed that much, you had better make sure you have vests, tripwire, razor wire, explosive and a whole bunch more shit then ammo.

(Bucks County)

How much can you move when the zombies burn your ass out of your stick built house or modular?
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlytrap View Post
    IF.. you needed that much, you had better make sure you have vests, tripwire, razor wire, explosive and a whole bunch more shit then ammo.
    You should consider the case where you don't have all of your ammo co-located.

It may be wise to have some pre-positioned in several different locations, possibly geographically distant locations. In such a case, one could easily need 10,000 rounds.

Such a policy could be wise, given a number of different scenarios.

(Allegheny County)

For me a nice ideal would b enough to cover say 2-3 years of range time, any classes, etc. More would be nice too. But enough to cover recent shortages and price discounts of buying in bulk. So the specific number depends on what you yourself would need.

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    You should consider the case where you don't have all of your ammo co-located.

It may be wise to have some pre-positioned in several different locations, possibly geographically distant locations. In such a case, one could easily need 10,000 rounds.

Such a policy could be wise, given a number of different scenarios.
    All over the place in my house. Key is you have to remember where it is, I just found a battlebox in my closet I completely forgot about
    FJB

As much as you can buy when it is cheap to stack it deep. Not sure what cheap is anymore though.

Having enough in stock to comfortably shoot when you have anti gun presidents, prices are sky high and ammo is hard to find is the goal in my mind.

That amount will be different for everyone. How often do you shoot? How much do you shoot when you do? I would figure out what you shoot for each caliber in a year and they try to stock up at least 5 years worth of each while it is available and reasonably priced.

As you shoot some, keep topping off while it is available. Then when times like what happened after Sandy Hook or after Covid happened, you can still go to the range and shoot without spending the insane prices people were paying. You can even sell some at the insane prices and save the money for when prices start coming back down to what you consider reasonable and stock up again.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Position is key.
    Fetal?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast