Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: 2023 HB 336 Assault Weapons Ban

Quote Originally Posted by jgl View Post
    After careful consideration of the "facts and fantasies" being presented recently in the media concerning gun rights, I would agree perhaps it is truly time for change.
    The overwhelming majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens that go about their everyday business without the general public even knowing they are gun owners or supporters of the Second Amendment. To a large extent, this has been our goal, "no one needs to know".

Here is the rub.... to the media, politicians (local, state, and federal) and the general public we are a nameless, faceless group. As a group we don't stage sit-ins, we don't plan million person marches, we don't burn flags or pull down monuments. We exist under the radar. We do an excellent job not letting the media, politicians and general public confront the fact we are parents, grandparents, teachers, doctors, construction workers, school bus drivers, you know...average hard working citizens choosing to exercise a Constitutional right.

Maybe we need a change, become more visible, become more vocal. Instead of being on the defensive to protect gun rights move to the offensive and profess gun rights.
    I agree with all of this, but politics have become more and more polarized over the years and I don't think either side is truly willing to listen to the other no matter how reasoned the position. I have tried to have rational discussions with anti-gun friends/family and even the most restrained response is always something like: "I get that you're law-abiding, but all these people are dying so we have to get rid of all the guns." People in general want every problem to have a face and a straightforward solution. They don't want to hear about complex, societal problems that have no straightforward solution. Anti-gun politicians, activists, TV/movies, etc. have addressed all of the hand-wringing over violent crime in America by putting a face on it and offering an easy solution that has no downside for all the people who never owned or planned on owning a gun anyway.

(Bucks County)

we need to start automatically saying to these idiots, "your a hypocritical idiot, you tell us to not judge all Muslims by the actions of a few individuals but insist that all gun owners get judged by the actions of a few individuals"
    bailout the working class not the freeloading class

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jgl View Post
    ...Maybe we need a change, become more visible, become more vocal. Instead of being on the defensive to protect gun rights move to the offensive and profess gun rights.
    Absolutely. Open Carry once in a while; expect a fence sitter to open a dialog with you.

Be sure to thank and support those who stand up for us in Harrisburg. The house chair of the judiciary committee, Rob Kauffman (Franklin county) vowed not to let one piece of gun legislation get out of committee, and he kept his promise (thank him here https://www.repkauffman.com/contact )

Bring a gallows to the next Harrisburg rally. 2A supports brought a 12' gallows to the Richmond rally, Walleye and I saw it in person. It made quit the statement!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Bucks County)

How's this one for a conflated thought. In a gun conversation with an anything but dumb person recently, they offered that red traffic lights restrict freedom. WTF can be a reply to such an example?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

My note to Rep Kauffman:

Thank you for all you do to abide by both constitutions and seeing that others do not violate them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    How's this one for a conflated thought. In a gun conversation with an anything but dumb person recently, they offered that red traffic lights restrict freedom. WTF can be a reply to such an example?
    Going through a red light is not a Constitutionally protected right.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Bucks County)

Constitutional rights are not the same as traffic flow laws.....not even close. You have a right to protect yourself and close 98% of "gun violence" happened (around the world) when guns were banned or severely limited.
    The Bill of Rights are rights that LIMIT government, not citizens. You have a right to speak freely, you have a right to defend yourself, you have a right to not be unlawfully searched, etc. Red light laws prevent chaos...period. All they do is keep order at congested intersections. They do not restrict freedom because people didn't die as patriots fighting to go through red lights. This guy sounds like a moron....
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

There's 200 million gun owners in the US. If gun owners were the problem, you'd know it.

(Bucks County)

Some say 300 million

(Northampton County)

They don't restrict your ability to own a vehicle. They don't even restrict your ability to operate a vehicle. They simply help control the flow of traffic. Gun owners aren't complaining about being unable to target practice on Main St USA, They aren't complaining about rules that prohibit shooting across hiking trails. They aren't complaining about having to cease firing when someone is walking downrange. I'd tell said person to try again with a better analogy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast