Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Replace BCG in PSA upper?

Quote Originally Posted by glocknurse View Post
    I believe that there was a video a couple years ago that talked about Battlefield Vegas and how they have meticulous records on all of their guns. According to them PSA bolts far exceeded most other higher priced BCGs.
    I believe that is the guy that posts on Arfcom. The maintenance/replacement/round count of various firearm models & brands is interesting data. Most of us will never run our guns as hard in a lifetime as they do in a month.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Not the end all, be all...but "good enough" is often just that...good enough. There's a reason the Camry is the #1 selling car, and it's not because its the fanciest.
    Just being a smart ass I was referring to the term *mil spec*. Throwing around milspec is like calling magazines clips. Or a group of firearms a *platform*. Or a shotgun a *shotty* Etc, Etc. Instantly makes the user sound like a call of duty basement dweller.

We know that *milspec* is a marketing term designed to attract the unwary like a shiny object does a crow. If you really want the final word on the subject, has anyone asked our local expert David H?
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Just being a smart ass I was referring to the term *mil spec*. Throwing around milspec is like calling magazines clips. Or a group of firearms a *platform*. Or a shotgun a *shotty* Etc, Etc. Instantly makes the user sound like a call of duty basement dweller.

We know that *milspec* is a marketing term designed to attract the unwary like a shiny object does a crow. If you really want the final word on the subject, has anyone asked our local expert David H?
    I must be part crow because Mrs Ronin accuses me of 'shiny object syndrome', even though I dislike most birds. I do like the movie The Crow, however. I just don't like birds that shit all over my car.

(Northumberland County)

Well,I knew it would come up sooner or later. There, you said it. The end all be all, milspec.

Fair enough...wasnt sure if you were serious or joking. Ruffles some feathers with right crowd, as you said.

I dont mind the term personally though. It's a minimum standard by which things will typically function as expected. Most of my stuff exceeds it now, actually. But I did cut my teeth on the entry level PSA stuff, like many I'm sure.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
    If anything is going to fail, it'll probably be the bolt. It's unlikely that you'll send enough ammo down range to adversely affect it unless there's a defective or out of spec part in the BCG.

Purchase a complete backup BCG by Microbest and shoot the rifle with the one supplied with it. Keeping a spare complete bolt assembly in the Magpul pistol grip storage well is a good idea.
    This. ^^^

The carrier itself is not going to be an issue, but the bolt could break.
    I keep a few extra bolts (complete with gas rings, etc) and complete bolt carrier groups on hand as backups.
    I've never heard anything bad about PSA BCGs and wouldn't be concerned - but I would keep a spare bolt at a minimum - regardless of what brand is in my gun.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

I own BCGs that cost $50 and I own BCGs that cost $250.

They have all performed the same.

The ONLY issue I had was a Fail Zero BCG that had a loose gas key after some shooting. They swapped it out for me. It still worked, but it had wiggle. Apparently they had a batch of that.

School of the American Rifle (SOTAR)... boy that crowd is interesting. Millions of ARs are thrown together with no consideration of the parts and they run forever. But these guys need to dimensionally inspect and gauge every single part to make sure their rifle will function. I think their interests are valid, but for the most part, completely unnecessary.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

I have thousands of rounds through a half dozen psa bcgs and a DD battle rifle and I can't tell the difference in terms of performance.

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs down Re: Replace BCG in PSA upper?

This older video from SOTAR left me wondering about his "knowledge". In all of my years experience with the M16/ AR-15 family of weapons, I've never had to resort to that level of over lubrication.

This older video from SOTAR left me wondering about his "knowledge". In all of my years experience with the M16/ AR-15 family of weapons, I've never had to resort to that level of over lubrication.
    I must not be running my ARs hard enough, I haven't had to either.

Good God, that stuff looks like Cosmoline Lite.

(Northumberland County)

Guy dresses his BCG with more shit than I put on a hotdog. That ought to be fun...either coming off (everywhere) at speed, or gonna be a nice black goo to clean out of every nook after a few mags.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast