Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor

(Cumberland County)

Default Suppressor

Dumb question time. I'm new to suppressors. Picked up my first one a few months back. After talking to shop and others I thought I had it figured out, but now the more I read I'm not sure.
    I was told using my suppressor with say my Beretta or Stribog I was good to go as is. But if I wanted to use it on a pistol with tilting barrel like my Glock, I needed to use a spacer.
    The more I read, it seems to be the opposite? Maybe I heard wrong originally. If I use suppressor on a fixed barrel like my Beretta or Stribog then replace spring with spacer and if I use it with tilt barrel like Glock, leave as is.
    Sorry again if dumb, just want to be sure
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Suppressor

You don’t need a spacer for a Glock you need a booster. Most pistol cans come with one. If it’s a fixed barrel like a pcc you need a barrel spacer in the booster.
    What can did you buy?

(Berks County)

Yes, exactly as NathanB said. Technically it's called a Nielsen device. A piston booster.

Due to the weight of the suppressor, the action can't cycle (at least with any reliability) due to that extra weight. The spring loaded piston allows some of the gas to be held for a very brief interval and pushed back to create enough energy for cycling. I may not have explained that very well. Umm.. How about this link?

https://www.silencercentral.com/blog...ielsen-device/

I just attach my booster to my suppressor for pistols and swap to my 3 lug adapter for my rifles and PCC's, which of course then requires 3 lug barrels or adapters. There are some decent ones that are relatively inexpensive, like under $50 I believe.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all. I swear they said the opposite when I bought it - but then again, I'm getting old I bought a Silencerco Omega 45. So on Glock, ready to go and if I put on my Beretta/Stribog then replace the spring with the fixed barrel spacer I bought.
    Thanks!

Any suggestions on a quality 22 can? I want one to not only use on a 22 but for my new S&W 5.7
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Thanks all. I swear they said the opposite when I bought it - but then again, I'm getting old I bought a Silencerco Omega 45. So on Glock, ready to go and if I put on my Beretta/Stribog then replace the spring with the fixed barrel spacer I bought.
    Thanks!

Any suggestions on a quality 22 can? I want one to not only use on a 22 but for my new S&W 5.7
    Just for clarification, I don't believe Silencerco makes an Omega 45, but they do make an Omega 45K (i.e. K for kurz). They also make an Octane 45.

The Omega 45K is a fully welded can and it comes with a fixed barrel mount in 5/8 x 24, so you'd need to buy a booster to mount on a pistol. A fixed barrel mount is used on guns with fixed barrels. Alternatively, as you mentioned, you could use a booster and then swap the spring for a spacer to use on fixed barrels. The point though, is that the Omega 45K does not include a booster/Nielsen device from the factory so you'll need to get one separately if that's the can you bought.

If, on the other hand, you actually bought an Octane 45 (which is a user-serviceable can), it does indeed ship with a booster. So you'd need to buy a spacer for the piston or a fixed-barrel mount to run it on your fixed barrel guns.

Note: even though the barrel on the Beretta 92 series doesn't tip, it does move forward and backwards. They can sometimes be unreliable if the can is too heavy and you're using a fixed-barrel mount. You might be able to tune it with different recoil springs, or you can use the booster anyway and it should work fine.

As far as .22 cans go, most seem to agree that the front runners are Dead Air Mask 22 (though Dead Air's Q/C and availability have been questionable lately) and the Rugged Oculus .22. They are both stainless, and easy to clean, and have very low first round pop (FRP). The Silencero Sparrow is perhaps even easier to clean, but it has more first round pop since it is a monocore. All of these stainless cans are rated for 5.7 and .22WMR.

Being mostly stainless, these cans can be a little heavy on a .22, so some prefer lighter aluminum cans at the expense of ease of cleaning. The Rugged Mustang is basically an aluminum version of the Oculus. But aluminum cans won't be 5.7 rated, so it doesn't fit your use case.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Cumberland County)

Man, talk about feeling dumb - lol. Now I need something else. Yes, you are correct, my bad, mine is a Silencerco Omega 45k. Again, I asked the questions when I bought it a year ago and was told it was good to go as is and a spacer for different guns and the adapter I bought for 9mm thread. I've actually used it as is on my Beretta M9A3 and it ran fine.
    Here's the can, so I need a booster? From what I looked up it looks like it has a booster? Sheez. Thanks for continuing to educate me

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Allegheny County)

The thing with the spring around it is the booster/piston assembly. You replace that spring with a spacer if you use a fixed barrel firearm. Or, alternatively, you could get a fixed mount and ditch the piston altogether.

(Cumberland County)

Starting to make sense now The suppressor came with a 45 threaded fixed mount. I bought the 9mm adapter and they sold me this so it's the booster. So, as I pictured, good to go on my Glock, S&W, etc.. Even though I used it on my Beretta, I should replace the spring with the spacer. If I switch over to a 45 1911 I can use the fixed mount. Should I get a booster for the 45 or is the fixed mount that it came with it ok? Thanks again all. Don't like being a novice on things - lol.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Hey there, was nice to see you in the shop the other day. Sounds like your getting squared away with the booster thing. I*m gonna suggest checking out freedom armory below York. The tion brand of cans are pretty nice, not cheap. So far everybody I*ve sent there has left after a purchase. Check them out on the internet I think you*ll be interested. Safe travels.

Starting to make sense now The suppressor came with a 45 threaded fixed mount. I bought the 9mm adapter and they sold me this so it's the booster. So, as I pictured, good to go on my Glock, S&W, etc..
    OK, that explains the origin of what you have. Yep, you are good to go on pistols that have moving barrels using the 9mm (i.e. 1/2x28, probably) piston you have.

Even though I used it on my Beretta, I should replace the spring with the spacer.
    On the Beretta, the choice of mount is up to you. Some suppressors are light enough that the gun can still run without a booster (using either a spacer or a fixed mount). Others might need the booster to run reliably. Even though the barrel doesn't tilt, it does move back and forward in line, so some suppressor companies recommend the booster. Either way is fine on the 92 series.

If I switch over to a 45 1911 I can use the fixed mount. Should I get a booster for the 45 or is the fixed mount that it came with it ok?
    For your 1911, the barrel does have to tilt to unlock, so you probably will need a booster. Note, you actually just need a piston that matches the threads of your 1911 barrel. The thread-pitch specific pistons are sold separately and you can reuse your spring and booster mount.

The 5/8x24" fixed barrel mount it came with is good for fixed barrel guns like the Kriss Vector in .45 or a .300 blackout.

Note: if you decide you want to run this on a truly fixed-barrel gun, like a 9mm carbine for example, you should use either a fixed barrel mount in 1/2x28" or a spacer to install in your booster housing so you can use your existing 1/2x28" piston. Guns with fixed barrels should never be used with suppressors with boosters with the spring installed, since it is more likely for the can to become misaligned during firing which could lead to a baffle strike.
    I am not a lawyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast